cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BR underground fibre broadband cable

Go to solution

I am considering a replacement of my current tarmac driveway with new. I do not want the new driveway damaged during the future installation of fibre broadband. Therefore I wish to install BT approved twin wall underground ducting during the installation of the new driveway process.

Can you please advise upon colour and dimensions? The house was built in the 1960s and supplied by BT copper wiring.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BR underground fibre broadband cable

Go to solution

@MikeB48 

This has nothing to do with BT consumer, you need to ask Openreach for advice.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support

Openreach normally use the same route as the copper, often using the old copper cable to pull the fibre cable through.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Keith, 

Thank you very much for your advice.

It’s been a nightmare to get any relevant answer from BT or Outreach to my query.

What happened to customer service?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

you are a BT Retail customer but the ducting has nothing to do with BT Retail.  The ducting is responsibility of Openreach but you are not a customer of Openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

What are you trying to achieve, so that when FTTP becomes available you will already have a duct installed ? , if your house was built somewhere between 1960-1990 and isn’t ducted already , the potential problem is you won’t know where Openreach will provide their new duct in the footpath , ( where it  will appear on your curtilage ) so you may put your duct effectively in the wrong place if you put yours in first .

Do a search for ( BT ) Duct 56 , and Duct 56 bend , there are  suppliers of this , it’s the same specifications as what OR use , (but not branded as OR ) , if you bury this and use the bend against the house wall , and take the duct to approximately the middle of your frontage (where your land  joins the footpath ) you may be future proofed , but its possible that when OR do provide FTTP you have put your duct in the wrong place to hook up with what OR provide, so it end up being a waste of time .

FWIW ,  OR wont  be interested if all you are doing is renovating a driveway , and unless you intend to have the front of the property entirely hard standing ( so no soft surface ) then OR probably wouldn’t need to interfere with your new surface anyway.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Iniltous

You hit the nail on the head. I’m trying to be proactive and install suitable ducting prior to when FTTP is available in my area. 
Thankyou for providing such good advice, it’s very helpful.

0 Ratings