cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Broadband Router and continuous disconnection from internet

Hi all. Would be grateful for any help please.

My BT Broadband Router is now very old (about 10 years old). For the last few months I have had a problem on my windows laptop with it regularly losing internet connection, usually when I had been on WORD for a few minutes and had not been on my browser during that time. All other devices were unaffected. The only solution was to shut down and restart my laptop and the internet came straight back on.

Thinking it was a laptop problem (that was quite old too) I recently bought an Apple Mac laptop. To my consternation, the problem remains except now the only solution is to reset the router and then provide my wifi password on the laptop.

Today I have switched on my laptop twice and both times it had no internet connection.

Im assuming that the problem is with my router, both in the sense that it is old and possibly cannot cope with all the devices we have (TV, IPAD, Laptop, phones). 

Any thoughts most welcome. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Broadband Router and continuous disconnection from internet

My current router is Hub 3. Apparently the latest version is 6.2 which underlines how old it is.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

If you are using a hh3 with FTTC then you must also have a separate modem which makes it unlikely you are dropping internet connection so probably wireless connection.  Is it just the laptop that has problems?  Do you have the2.4/5ghz networks split with different SSID?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks very much for the reply. Apologies but I'm not very technically minded so please bear with me. What is FTTC please? Also, if its a wireless problem not a router issue what can I do to resolve this? Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Also, don't have a modem, just a router

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

FTTC if fibre to the cabinet and copper to your home but if you don't have a modem with THE HH3 then you must still be on ADSL.

Can you post stats from your hub.

Is it just laptop that drops wireless connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings