cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT FTTP 900Mb Package, upload speed limited to around 50Mb/s after doing a factory reset

Hello, we have had BT's 900Mb/s FTTP package since around May 2023, if using a wired connection, we are able to get around 950Mb/s for the download and around 105Mb/s for the upload.

The BT Smart Hub 2 is only Wi-Fi 5, so I have disabled the Wi-Fi on the Smart Hub 2 and use a TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 access point, which we can normally get around 650-750Mb/s download and around 95-100Mb/s upload, depending on the device used, distance, number of devices connected at a time etc...

Might upgrade to Wi-Fi 7 one day, but I'm very satisfied right now.

Recently I had to do a factory reset for the BT Smart Hub 2 and for some reason our upload speed now never goes above 50Mb/s , I have tried both wired/wireless and no matter what service I use, Speedtest.net, Fast.com, nperf.com, Google speed test, the upload now maxes out around 47-49Mb/s, rather than the 95-100Mb/s we were getting before.

Here's a result before the factory reset

Screenshot 2024-03-05 175140.png

Here's a result after the factory reset

Screenshot 2024-03-06 175505.png

I've tried restarting the ONT and factory resetting the BT Smart Hub 2 again, just in case there was some type of firmware bug, but it's made no difference.

Has anyone experienced this before?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT FTTP 900Mb Package, upload speed limited to around 50Mb/s after doing a factory reset

@Charlie-GM 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The factory reset of the home hub has resulted in the upload parameters reverting to the default value within the home hub.

This parameter is changed by BTs remote management system to allow the full speed. This normally happens automatically so you must leave the home hub alone and do not do any more resets.

If the upload speed has not corrected itself within a couple of days, then post back here, and one of the moderators should be able to help.

This only affects the BT Home hub, and not any third party routers.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: BT FTTP 900Mb Package, upload speed limited to around 50Mb/s after doing a factory reset

OK, I will wait a few days and see if it improves. I have factory reset the BT Smart Hub 2 a few times before and it's never done this though, it would always immediately come back with normal speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

So I ended up going through the log files of the hub and came across this on the 6th March, which is right around when the upload speed got cut in half from 100Mb/s > 50Mb/s~

Screenshot 2024-03-08 013532.png

I assume this relates to the upload speed cap, what also caught my attention is despite having previously done a factory reset from within the settings of the BT Smart Hub 2, the event log went back to May 2023~, when we first got the the BT Smart Hub 2.

A factory reset will normally erase everything, including any configuration files or event logs, so I decided to try doing a factory reset, using the physical reset button on the BT Smart Hub 2.

This time our event log is much smaller, going from 379 pages to 11 pages.

And in checking the audit log, this is actually what counts as a full reset.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 021000.png

Once everything was synced back up, upload speeds were still capped at 50Mb/s, but I noticed around few minutes later we had a "CWMP: Set Parameter by TR069 Success." message

Screenshot 2024-03-08 021218.png

And after running another speed test, the upload speed is back at 100Mb/s and our download is within the 650-750Mb/s I would expect over the Wi-Fi 6 AP.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 021339.png

So it seems if you have a BT Smart Hub 2 and aren't getting full upload speeds, if you want to quickly get your speeds back, you must do a factory reset using the physical reset button, as opposed to using the reset option in the Smart Hub 2 settings.

Message 5 of 10

This is interesting, I didnt realise the hub was doing that.

I use my own router which always has had the max 900/100 so I wonder if the parameter setting is just falling away into nowhere on 3rd party stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@naylor2006 

BT cannot update the settings in a third party router only in BT hubs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Yeah sorry, I didnt mean to look the stupid, of course I know that.

I was just wondering if BT knows if there is a HUB there or a 3rd Party and if it adjusts how it treats one of the other....IE in my case does it try to set a link speed regardless?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@naylor2006 

The parameter change only applies to the home hub, as they only have a low default value as they may be used by an FTTC customer, and higher values cause the hub to crash if someone tries to exceed the capability of the FTTC connection.

Its all to do with flow control.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Ahh okay, makes sense, was just wondering on the science behind how BT checks for model of router at the other end, curious thats all.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

The "science" is the TR-069 protocol.