cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Home Hub 5 and 5g wireless connectivity

I'm having a problem with a new (second hand) pc. It connects to my hub just fine at 5ghz - however after its been asleep - which i do rather than shut down - i return and find the 5g wireless channel has often reset to a low number and the download speed is either so low it wont register on ookla speedtest or im getting something like 3mb.

Today i've come home and the wireless channel has actually stayed the same but the same problem has occured - dl speed is negligible. Altering the channel resolves this issue.

The PC is pretty much the only thing connecting at 5ghz. Im relatviely confident that this is an issue being caused by the router as such - but cant totally rule out the wifi card - except for as soon as i change the channel dl and ul speed returns to a reasonable level.

Can you help me with how to stop this happening everytime i wake pc from sleep?

Most of the other homestuff connects automatically at 2.4ghz

PC is in the same room as the hub.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Home Hub 5 and 5g wireless connectivity

Try setting the 5Ghz channel manually rather than selecting Smart WiFi so that it doesn't change.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I have - mostly it still seems to revert to a low number - today it had stayed as i had set it last but had the same issue with Dl speed - ie it wouldnt!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

If its not sticking to a fixed channel when you have set it, the hub is faulty.

You could try a factory reset or failing that, call customer services and get a replacement hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Are  you  sure you're saving the page after changing the channel?

I went through three HH5s way back when they were current & they all dropped the 5GHz channel after a while. But I think you need more testing. Start by downloading a WiFi  analyser to check the 5GHz band from your router & make sure nothing else is competing. Then when the PC is slow, check again & see if anything's changed.

0 Ratings