cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Ethernet hardwiring issue

Hi everyone , so bt installed my home router in my living room which is on the ground floor around  9 months ago , In my bedroom ( which is is in the first floor I use a wireless wifi antennae ) and I get really poor wifi . Would bt be able to hardwire and route an ethernet cable from the router downstairs to my bedroom in the first floor? Or would I have to do this myself or pay a contractor? Cheers

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ethernet hardwiring issue

Openreach used to have a Service called Broadband Boost, which was for ADSL/FTTC and a Superfast Recharge for FTTP.

These Services allowed them to run a 30m max point to point CAT5e Data Extension.

I believe either Openreach discontinued the Service though or BT, who were the only ones who bought it themselves stopped selling it when they started using these, ‘Home Tech Experts’.

You’d prob be best off doing it yourself or hiring an Independent Telecoms Tech.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ethernet hardwiring issue

@Tugypid 

You could try some powerline adaptors which can pass a reasonable transmission rate over the mains and if you need wifi a simple wifi extender that takes an ethernet connection could provide a fairly cheap option.

BT used to supply the powerline adapters for £10 - not sure if they still do - and a wifi extender might cost <£30 Something like a TP-Link RE220.

0 Ratings