cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Hub 2, 2.4GHz link speed.

Go to solution

I have recently upgraded o Full Fibre 500. When connecting to my BT HUB 2 my 5GHz link speed is 433 mb/s which is ok but the 2.4GHz link speed is only 72 mb/s . Is there a reason this is so slow? can it be adjusted ?  it effects the performance of any wifi extenders I have that connect to the 2.4ghz channel.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Hub 2, 2.4GHz link speed.

Go to solution

the Full Fibre 500 package speed is 500/80 so looks about right

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. So does that mean the 2.4ghz channel is only for uploading ? my wifi extenders connect to the 2.4ghz channel and quite happily  transmit and recieve data on it. According to BT the 500/80 means download / upload speeds, how is that related to the 2 wifi channels (5Ghz & 2.4Ghz) please ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

I think @imjolly may have misread.

2.4GHz is slower than 5GHz but with greater range. You don't say what you're using to measure link speed, but that could be a limitation of that device. In any case, real world speed is going to depend on many factors but 2.4GHz is never going to match 5GHz.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. Yes I appreciate that the 2.5Ghz is acknowledged to be slower than the 5 Ghz but the difference is reported to be more noticeable over distance.

My testing is in the same room so to rule out inter-room interference or distance impacts on performance.   I am using a high spec windows 11 pc, high end Samsung mobile and an Apple ipad, all show very similar speeds and all the software apps I have used (one recommended by BT) reflect the same performance. Also if I check the “network properties” of each device it reports

Network Band 5Ghz, Network Link Speed (Receive/ Transmit) 433/433 (Mb/s)

Network Band 2.4Ghz, Network Link Speed (Receive/ Transmit) 73/73 (Mb/s)

These speeds are derived by the system and  independent to any “speed testing” software but are reflected software testing results.

I’m just wondering why there is such a difference between the bands which impacts on me using the 2.4ghz channel for Wifi extenders i.e. the fastest I am extending the wifi is 73mb/s.

If I extend the 5Ghz channel then this impacts the devices ie TV which are nearer to the BT Hub and lock onto that channel.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Have you tried using something like WiFi Analyzer to see if there is any interference from other sources? You could also try resetting your SH2 (not just restarting it) and see whether that makes any difference. Another thing you can try is changing the SH2 from smart channel selection to a channel not used by anything else in the vicinity (e.g. one of the channels used by Sky is 36 so avoid that).

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@harleydee 

I'm on FF500 but don't use the SH2.

In my Asus it shows me the tx/rx speeds for attached devices and on the 2.4GHz band my devices show an RX speed of 72.2M and on the 5GHz band a TX speed of 433.3M. Which closely matches my 500/70 profile.

Same figures as yours but obviously RX compared to TX.

However, when doing a speed test wirelessly on my iPhone 11 on 5GHz I get 360Mbps on download & 70Mbps on upload. On the 2.4GHz band it's 100Mbps and 70Mbps. This is within about 3M of my Asus.

For wired devices i get 500/70 as I should.

Having done a disconnect of my phone & reconnect currently onn 5GHz I'm showing 585Mbps & 24Mbps and on 2.4GHz 144Mbps & 144Mbps.

Perhaps that means that there's not too much to be read into these "link" figures but actual speeds are the real test.

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks countrypaul, just factory reset the hub and the "Network Properties" on the devices has gone up as follows :

5Ghz Link Speed has gone from 433/433Mbps to 520/650 (Mbps)

2.4Ghz Link Speed has gone from 73/73Mbps to 144/144 (Mbps)

Speed tests on devices have now increased topping 300mbps on 5Ghz and 140mbps on the 2.4Ghz  channel but as TimCurtis commented, the "link speeds" in the network properties may not be actual but potential but the Hub 2 must have been holding back for some reason. It may be because I have had this service for 2 years as Full Fibre 100 and only recently upgraded to Fibre 500.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks TimCurtis, I agree, which hub do you use ?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@harleydee 

I use an Asus DSL-AC68U which is over 9 years old so not Wifi 6/7 rated but fast enough for me.