cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: BT Hub 2, 2.4GHz link speed.

Go to solution
Thats very interesting, I had not realised I could use any 3rd party DSL/ Modem router on my BT broadband, mmm something else to play with, Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Go to solution

You didn’t say if you followed CountryPaul’s advise and checked for other channels?

Wireless is a whole different ball-game to wires.  Again, it has no relation to your internet connection speed.

It is also a half-duplex system.  That is, it can’t send and receive simultaneously, so when they say 866 Mb/s it usually means 433 send and 433 receive etc.

It is also sharing the airwaves with other devices on the same channel.  If people are being sensible and sticking to channels 1, 6 and 11 there is a mechanism for two wireless point on the same channel to cooperate and share the channel.  Of course, this may mean you have to wait while your neighbour sends something, slowing real time transfer down a little etc.  1, 6 and 11 are far enough apart to be separate.  The channels in between overlap.  If your neighbour thinks he’s being clever by using, say, channel 8, it just causes interference without them being able to talk to each other and cooperate and slows things down even more.  (5 GHz is better in this respect as the channels are far enough apart not to overlap).

Wireless also has a whole lot of other baggage going on, such as the change in signal format between ethernet and 802.11 then back again.  Encryption/decryption etc.

Your best bet is to proceed with the plan to put wires in then put a wireless point in each room using wireless roaming.  That is, same SSID but channels 1, 6 and 11 arranged so no two adjacent stations use the same channel.

Message 13 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks again for the usefull information WSH, I did check channels and also used a scanner. I am next door to a public library and they fire up all sorts of kit when its open so I will do a few checks out of interest. I have ordered the cable etc and will implement a wired network. Thanks everyone for all your help and i will let you know how things go.
0 Ratings