cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Hub and ONT

Apologies to all if this is covered somewhere else in the thousands of posts but I can't seem to find the answer.

I have just moved into a newbuild. There is an ONT in the cupboard under the stairs which is plugged in to an adjacent 13A socket and appears 'ready'. There are two  telephone-type' sockets adjacent to the ONT which are empty (nothing plugged in) I presume these to be ethernet sockets (RJ45) and presume 2 of them as there are 2 telephone-type sockets in the study and the lounge (again I believe these are ethernet/RJ45)

I believe that the builders have installed ethernet cabling to the two sockets in the 2 rooms mentioned and joined (patched?) them to the two sockets in the downstairs cupboard next to the ONT.

My full fibre from BT is due to go live tomorrow. I will also receive the equipment tomorrow.

My question is how to set up the hub and ONT because I can only see 2 options viz.

(A) Plug the hub WAN socket into the ONT ethernet socket then use two further cables to plug into two of the LAN sockets on the hub and into the two RJ45 sockets adajcent to the ONT. I assume this will make the two RJ45 sockets in the study and livingroom 'live' and useable. The DOWNSIDE is the hub will be sitting in a cupboard and this will surely affect the WI-FI around the house.

(B) Plug the cable from the ONT ethernet socket into one or other of the adjacent RJ45 sockets and then plug the hub WAN into whichever of the two sockets are 'live'. DOWNSIDE to this is that only one socket would be live at any one time but it would allow me to position the hub outside the enclosed cupboard.

Hope that all makes sense even if I've used incorrect terms (DOH!)

Horace

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Hub and ONT

i would try option (A) first and see how you get on and if problems post back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the swift reply. I'll give it a go.

Great Avatar BTW - Rikki Fulton at his best (GRHS)

Horace

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

It really depends if you intend to connect your devices via Ethernet or WiFi.

If the former use option A, if the latter, option B.

If a mixture of both, option A with a separate combined WiFi access point/Ethernet  switch connected to one of outlets.

Message 5 of 13

Thanks for your reply.

I anticipate I'll need decent WI-FI for the firestick hence the potential issue with the hub being inside an electrical cupboard.

The only other WI-FI devices will be the mobiles but I am guessing it should be good for them even if the hub is in a cupboard.

I've got BT TV coming so guessing I can use ethernet for it. I'll also use ethernet for the PC/Laptop.

I suppose I will have to see how good the WI-FI signal is with the (A) setup and the hub inside the cupboard.

Regards,

Horace

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Option C:  Option A with a switch and a third party wireless access point plugged in the living room?

Message 7 of 13

I think I already suggested that

Message 8 of 13

So you did.  Sorry, didn't read it carefully enough. 

Message 9 of 13

You should be able to buy an Ethernet adapter for your Firestick. We had the typical hesitation and pausing with our Firestick until we  swapped to wired Ethernet. We do have 3 laptops, 3 iPads and a number of other devices on WiFi all of which cannot easily use wired Ethernet so you may not see the problems we saw. The Ethernet adapter for a Firestick is around £10-15 though you can get some for less.

Message 10 of 13

Thanks to everyone for their help. I am still in the midst of the move into the new house but I have managed to set up the hub inside the cupboard so that the ONT is plugged into the hub WAN and individual cables are going from two of the hub's LAN ports to the 2 RJ45s inside the cupboard.

The RJ45s in the two rooms have been tested and appear to be working fine. Thus I have ethernet in the two rooms.

I took the advice and purchased a firestick adapter so that my firestick now operates over the LAN. I have yet to set up my BT TV but I have already realised that the 'switch' you suggested will be required to run both firestick and BT TV off the lounge LAN.

Have been going a bit crazy trying to decide what switch is best. I won't need lots of ports so what type do I go for?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Horace

0 Ratings