You connect the Openreach Modem/ONT

to any Router via an Ethernet Cable

and you then leave your Devices

connected to the old Router Settings

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 Firmware Updates.

@Josh_Welby2 That is not the question that was asked

@Mitch3 give the Zyxel an IP address of 192.168.1.10 and gateway 192.168.1.254 turn off DHCP on the Zyxel and connect it to the BT hub LAN port to LAN port

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Thanks for the replies. The Zyxel came pre configured by our former ISP. Would it be necessary to do a factory reset or can I leave it as is? I'm not sure what configuration they did. 

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Probably no need for a factory reset, you won't be using the DSL side of the device which the ISP would have configured. It won't hurt if do reset it in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Hi again,

I think I will go ahead with the suggestion to use my old Zyxel router to connect the 2.4 devices to when the Smart Hub 2 is activated. I understand that I would connect the SH2 to the Zyxel with an Ethernet cable but I'm not sure how to reconfigure the Zyxel for that purpose. Would the Zyxel still broadcast separate 2.4 and 5G? Can anyone point me to an online step by step guide about what I should be doing to set up? I know what I'm doing with PC's but my Network/WiFi knowledge is patchy.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

I can't give you step by step instructions as I don't have a Zyxel router so I'm not familiar with the menu options.

But you just configure it as my previous post.

First of all connect your PC to the Zyxel rather than the Hub so that you get an IP address within the Zyxel subnet rather than the hub subnet ( I don't know what subnet the Zyxel uses).

Once connected, change the IP address of the Zyxel to 192.168.1.10 which is in the Hub's subnet but out of it's DHCP range. Also turn off the Zyxel's  DHCP server. This will disconnect your PC from the Zyxel as you have 'cut off the branch you were sitting on', so to speak. There is no need to change the Gateway address of the Zyxel as you won't be using the WAN port.

Now connect you PC to the hub and simply connect the BT hub to the Zyxel LAN port to LAN port.

You should then be able to access the Zyxel management page at 192.168.1.10 if needs be.

You should also be able to connect to the Zyxel's 2 WiFi signals and gain internet access.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

That's  great. Thanks very much for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Sorry. I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can't sign it to the Zyxel Configuration page - won't connect. (ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B). The IP address shown (cmd /ipconfig) is IPv4 Address 192.168.1.201, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway 192.168.1.254.

I have connected via Ethernet but none of the above addresses connect (http://192.168 etc). Also tried http://192.168.1.1 without success. I'm wondering if it is the pre configuration by my present ISP which is causing this? We move to BT (Smart Hub2 FTTC) in a couple of weeks and if a factory reset after moving would allow me to make changes? The original documentation I got from the ISP states "Do not press the reset button unless instructed to do so by technical support as the router will revert to a generic configuration. This will result in no operation"

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

You have nothing to lose by factory resetting the Zyxel.

Google suggests the default admin IP address is 192.168.1.1, username admin and password 1234.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Thanks licquorice. I've tried 3 different computers with no access to the Zyxel Router Config page. I checked on the Zyxel support page and if it is an ISP supplied router like mine, many settings are managed by the ISP including firmware updates. It's possible that access the the web config page is managed by them too. I haven't needed to change the password since it was set by the ISP and is strong.

I think a factory reset is the only way I could get access to the page. In network settings it says that it is a Private Network so I'm not sure what that means. I assume it was set up by the ISP.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings