cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Smart Hub 2 - VPN

Hey All,

Looking for a little advice.  I'm currently using a BT Smart Hub 2 and am *very* pleased with the performance of both the broadband connection and the internal WiFi.

I was hoping to setup a VPN client for my LAN and went to the Smart Hub VPN settings only to find ... there aren't any.

Bit disappointing that a main stream service provider cannot or will not implement such a widely adopted security protocol on their premium device.

Anyway, just a quick question ... what is the best way to get around this as I'm happy enough using the BT Smart Hub 2, but would like to setup a LAN wide VPN connection so I don't have to implement VPN on each separate device.

Cheers,
Ripface

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - VPN

I really don't understand this current fad for using a VPN

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Fad?  I'd have thought the extra security afforded by an encrypted end to end connection was more than just a fad ... not to mention obfuscating your location and IP address. 

Message 4 of 11

Totally agree VPS's are not a fad - especially to those who understand the most up-to-date issues and concerns around privacy and security, all of which are very valid.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

The power of marketing is wonderful.

Why do you trust the VPN provider more than youriISP?

The connection is only encrypted between you and the VPN server, not end to end.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

.... erm,  so can anyone answer my query on VPN and Smart Hub 2?

; ^)

Message 7 of 11

The BT Smart Hub 2 is made for your average consumer customer. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like some other third party or enterprise grade routers.

If you want to setup a router with a vpn client you can create this with something like a raspberry pi or use a third party router and ditch the smart hub 2.

To note if you use BT digital voice then the BT Smart Hub 2 is needed as the primary router.

Message 8 of 11

If you need to access insecure devices like cameras or a NAS remotely then a vpn server is a necessity. A Raspberry Pi running Wireguard is my recommendation. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Thanks Jac_95, appreciate the reply.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thanks Spile, think I have a spare PI kicking about.  I also have a CentOS workstation that stays on 24/7 as my home NAS.  Guessing I could install Wireguard on it?  Will Wireguard work with NordVPN?

0 Ratings