cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Smart Hub 2 & single band devices

Hi All,

Recently upgraded to Fiber to the house.  Received the latest Smart Hub 2, and I'm having difficulites with a few devices.

Kindle (paperwhite 10th gen) device wouldn't connect, kept saying password was incorrect.

Logitech Harmony Hub, wouldn't be discovered by Android or Windows app.

I kind of fixed both of these issues by turning 5Ghz off, and retrying. 

The Harmony hub worked (inc. with Alexa) until I re-enabled 5Gz, it now isn't discovered by either Windows or Android again.

The Kindle connected when the network was 2.4Ghz only and at the time of writing i've not re-enabled 5Ghz, but I'm not holding my breath for it to continue working when I do re-enable.

So...my question firstly does anyone have a fix within the Smart Hub2, some setting I may have missed that would make these devices work as they should?

Alternatively is there an alternative to the Smart Hub2, either using a router/modem or just pairing the hub with a wifi router? 

TIA

tibbi1m

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 & single band devices

@Tibbi1m 

The simplest option would be a separate 2.4GHz wireless access point plugged into a home hub Ethernet port. Give it a different SSID.

Like this one https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901n/

Message 3 of 6

Thanks, but do I then suffer from double NAT?  I'll still want hard wired things into the Smart Hub (specifically Sky Q which is rubish with BT apparently, and Hive Hub which only has a wired connection).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

There are no settings within the SH2 that you can make.

The simplest solution is to add a cheap 2.4Ghz wireless access point connect it to the hub and turn off the 2.4Ghz on the hub. That way you will have different SSIDs for the 2 bands.

Message 5 of 6

@Tibbi1m wrote:

Thanks, but do I then suffer from double NAT?  I'll still want hard wired things into the Smart Hub (specifically Sky Q which is rubish with BT apparently, and Hive Hub which only has a wired connection).

No, you will be connecting it LAN to LAN as a WAP, not LAN to WAN as a router.

Message 6 of 6

@Tibbi1m 

I use a SH2 and have SKYQ which works over WiFi without a problem however I have changed the 5ghz WiFi channel to channel 44 as channel 36 is used by SKYQ

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.