cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Smart Hub 2 requiring additional ethernet ports

Go to solution

Hi all,

I received my upgrade equipment on Friday including the Smart Hub 2, 1 wi-fi disc, EE Hybrid Connect and the Digital Voice phone.

Everything is set up and working fine (so far).  I've even noticed that my speed has now maxed to 68MB instead of 55MB previously, which is great.

However, the downside is that the new Smart Hub 2 only has 3 ethernet ports and a WAN port (which says do not use) whereas my old Smart Hub had 4 inputs.  I prefer my main devices to be wired and just use the wi-fi for phones, tablets, work laptops etc.

Is there any way to add additional inputs to the Smart Hub 2, without affecting the performance?

My four devices are:

Home PC (not used for gaming)

Smart TV

BT TV HDR Box

Sony Playstation 5

If I do have to drop one of these to a wi-fi connection, which would you suggest?  Currently I have dropped the PS5 from the Smart Hub 2.  BT also suggests that the EE Hybrid Connect is wired to the Smart Hub 2, so I don't understand why they would give you more devices but less inputs in a newer setup?

Any advice, recommendations would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 requiring additional ethernet ports

Go to solution

The 4th port on the SH2 can either be a LAN or WAN port , if you are not on FTTP , then the 4th port can be a LAN port and used as such , if you had FTTP the 4th port would already be connected to the FTTP ONT.

if you try it and it works , great , if it doesn’t you need to go into the hub settings and uncheck the ‘full fibre’ mode ( or something to that effect , that’s what changes the port from LAN to WAN 

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll try that.

Just for info, is there any way to add more inputs?  I would still need one more for the EE Hybrid Connect device.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Buy an Ethernet switch which will give you more Ethernet ports and allow for further wired devices to be connected if the need arises in the future. You can get them with at least five Ethernet ports upwards.

One of the ports on the Ethernet switch needs to be connected to an Ethernet port on the BT Hub so take that into account if you decide to buy one.

You can get them at PC World or Amazon starting in price at about £10.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.  Just to clarify, I don't just want a switch.  Both devices would need to be functioning at the same time.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

"Switch" is just the name, it isn't actually a switch in the way you're imagining but a hub, just like your router. So if you buy a 5 port you'll be able to connect four devices to it simultaneously.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Ok thanks for that.  Will get one sorted today.  My initial query is now resolved and I have the 4th port operational now.  

Thanks for all the prompt responses.

0 Ratings