cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT WiFi discs and Powerline connection

I have a rather widespread home with many old and solid masonry walls, which is a major problem for good wifi diffusion.  In an attempt to raise the quality of wifi, I have been persuaded to try BT Wifi Discs providing mesh connectivity. This seemed attractive not least because I have - step by step - been provided with four discs within the standard rental. I might add that I am served by fibre to the house which normally gives me a speed at the router of 140 Mbps - and which remains around an entirely adequate 60 / 80 Mbps from the Wifi discs on the first floor. 

Unfortunately, I have one wing of the house where the physical configuration (distance, position of power sockets and masonry walls) has proved too challenging for the convenient and efficient placing of Wifi discs. I have been visited by a BT adviser who was extremely helpful but did not entirely solve the problem. In these circumstances, my two related questions are these:

(a) Is it possible that the wifi signal distributed via a powerline by my Solwise AV2 Homeplug extender could be picked up by a BT Wifi disc and diffused further?
(b) If not, is it possible I could connect a BT Wifi Disc by cable to my Solwise AV2, using the ethernet sockets on each product, and then diffuse a wifi signal passed along a power line from the router and then via an ethernet cable to be radiated by the BT Wifi disc?

You will probably gather from the above text that I claim no competence in IT matters whatsoever and I will not be surprised if the questions reflect this ignorance.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT WiFi discs and Powerline connection

I am sure this has been asked before, but from what I understand, you can connect a BT Complete Wi-Fi (black) disc to a remote Ethernet connection provided by powerline adapters or direct Ethernet cable, and that remote disc will still be part of the mesh.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT WiFi discs and Powerline connection

Thank you Keith: I did search but perhaps not very efficiently. 

0 Ratings