cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT wireless network is compromised

Recently I've been getting an alert from BT Virus Protect on my android phone when connecting to my home BT network saying "BTHub5-XXXX is compromised.   Data you send and receive is exposed to a third party on this network.  Leave this network now".   

However other connect devices are not coming up with this message.

I also notice in the BT Virus Protect App that this network appears listed under "Risky Networks"

I obviously have a password to connect to the wi-fi networks and WPA2 security is enabled so what is the issue here because the app gives no indication what to do about it other than "Leave the network" which isn't very helpful!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT wireless network is compromised

I can’t promise you it is a false alarm, as I’m not familiar with Virus Protect, (& it seems an unusually specific warning, to be honest).

As far as I know, the Home Hub 5 is long out of support, so it may be vulnerable and you really do need to update it.  In the meantime, I would change your admin password and Wi-Fi keys as a precaution.  Admin password should be at least 15 characters these days and a WPA2 key should be 20 characters.  I would also take the Home Hub offline to do that.  Do a factory reset and set it up via a computer connected directly by cable. 

I will also add that a number of devices, particularly Apple devices, have been reporting WPA2 as “insecure” for some time now.  Reality is that they are pushing WPA3, rather than WPA2 being insecure as such.  It is possible this is something similar.

Message 3 of 4

It may be that it is Norton AV reporting about BTWifi or EEwifi as it is now known, being insecure because it is a public wifi hotspot.

Message 4 of 4

Good point.

0 Ratings