cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Back up internet connection

Hi,

I live in the country and work from home relying on my internet. We had a power cut and it caused a fault with the router and so a new one is being sent. Due to postal delays its going to be a few days till it arrives. I'm working from someone else's house till it arrives but could anyone suggest a back up option if this happens again? it doesn't have to be wifi - just a way for me to plug in and carry on working.

Thanks so much for any advise (I'm not very tech savvy as you might be able to tell)

Kind regards,

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Back up internet connection

@Cornwall2 

If you are on ADSL or VDSL, then this one is not expensive, and may be available locally. If you are near an Argos store, then its 572/8882.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

You can turn the wireless off if you do not need it.

Its easy to configure as it has a setup wizard.

username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

If you need any help, please ask.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

An alternative to the TP-Link router would be to check Facebook Marketplace for a cheap direct replacement for your BT Hub. That would just require a factory reset with a paper clip & then should just work.

Backup is really dependent on your mobile 4/5G coverage at home. If you get good BT/EE coverage then it might be worth upgrading to Halo 3+ to get a mobile backup device. But that's quite expensive.

You could also look at buying your own MiFi device & a data SIM. With this you wouldn't be limited to the BT/EE network.

Message 4 of 5

Hi Keith, thank you so much for the quick reply - I'll check this out
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you - I'll do a bit of searching and see what comes up, very much appreciated,

Dan

0 Ratings