cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: Bad Gaming Experience FC24

Thanks for your reply. I know there's so many things that can affect connection and I have very limited knowledge. All my friends, like yourself, barely ever have any issues with EAFC whatsoever. Which would tell me its a problem at my end surely.

I'm going to try a gaming router. I've founf the Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 with DumaOS 3.0. The duma app looks to have some features that can improve ping and stability. May be a long shot but I'm going to try it. I've also seen a few posts on here using QoS settings so I'll try that too.

I'm stuck with BT as I can't get Virgin where I live unfortunately. I've had/tried Plusnet, Sky and EE. But they're all Openreach companies anyway so I would expect it to be the exact same connection regardless.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

If you are in a Virgin Media Cable area and not one of their new Fibre networks then your ping will 9/10 be worse with them. Although Coax can handle 1Gb connections all the issues from copper such as interference, attenuation are there on cable too. Cable will add latency out of the box compared to fibre.

Going with your own router you will lose digital voice if you have it, thats the only concern, hopefully not.

Also you will need to know your PPPOE connection settings, luckily they are super easy.

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com 

Password: BT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

The odd thing is my ping and connection bars on EAFC is always fine 10-18ms usually, so I don't even know what the issue really is. I can't get Virgin where I live anyway. I'm stuck with BT.

I got rid of digital voice so that's okay.

Unfortunately I don't know what PPPOE is. I'm a noob. Sorry to bother you with this, would you be able to give me a tip on where to start with this? 

I'm going to order a router now, it maybe Google is my friend when setting it up 😁

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

PPPOE is the method in which you authenticate your connection with BT, when you first setup your router it will certainly have a wizard, in that wizard will certainly give you a chance to choose PPPOE and enter those details.

Even my ER-X had a wizard for PPPOE, its usually very straight forward, just make sure whatever router you get supports that, it likely will.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

Thanks, hopefully I should be able to work it out. I've found a few tutorials on the router I'm getting. (Netgear Nighthawk XR1000).

Really appreciate your posts. Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router Model XR1000 User Manual (netgear.com)

Page 29 mate......its all there

Connection mode: Always on

IP will be dynamic

DNS automatic

That should be it outside of the PPPOE credentials you have to enter first, looks pretty straight forward to me, without insulting you...just make sure you connect the new router to the ONT directly via the relevant WAN port on the Nighthawk.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

That's brilliant, thank you so much! 

I've found a good video on YouTube that helps with setup so I should be good to go now. Just need to order the router and I'm away.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to help me.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

No problem, yeah, best off watching youtube videos on it, its what I did with my ER-X before it arrived to get a headstart.

Message 19 of 27

Woah, hold on a minute before you go splurging £200 on a new router. Lets just check some stuff first. 

Are you on a full fibre connection, or a FTTC connection. 

A full fibre connection will involve a ONT in your home. This is a small white box mounted to a wall, that is Powered with a wall plug and will have flashing/solid green lights and will have an RJ45/ethernet port that connects to your BT smart hub. 

Screenshot 2024-07-18 140944.png

If you have the above you will be able to just plug in your new router and use the PPPOE settings as explained

If you have a socket in your home that has no green lights, and is not powered, you have an FTTC connection and will need a modem of some sort as plugging into the BT home hub will cause something called double nat. Without going into detail, this will break many online games. See the picture below for an example. 

download.jpeg

All of this being said, its extremely concerning to me that you are getting a poor result with the cloudflare checker. Could you please post a result from the speed.cloudflare.com website? Please ensure you have a full wifi connection on your phone 🙂 

Screenshot_20240718-141410.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Dude, he literally said in the first line of his first post he has Full Fibre 🙂

0 Ratings