cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Bad wifi despite upgrade

Hi there,   a lifelong BT customer here. 

Now, 

For your record, our family have been using BT broadband for as long as we can remember. Until recently we can no longer use the old package, which are now replaced with BT HALO 3.

Geographically, the three storey house has been refurbished and has a lot of metal beams and extensions.  Also, the back room for work office etc. This  affected the WIFI signals around the house . Previously, we've got the issue sorted  by  having 5 white BT mesh dish  and 1 ubiquiti; and all is perfect until recently, when we upgraded to BT wifi (everyroom  everywhere  BT halo 3).

Later, we've discovered that the white BT Dishes are not compatible with  the new HUB or the Black Dish.  We complained of our concerns,  when we upgraded to the current package. We were sent two more dishes, but ring door bell at the front door  is still not  having a stable or no signals.  The chime in the living room cannot connect at all to the ring door bell. 

This was not the case when we were on the old previous package. Ground floor -We have had one dish in the conservatory/ living room and one in the front room. One in the back  room in the garden.  On the 1st floor - the router  was in the back facing room and one dish in the front room. One dish on second floor. The signals were stable and perfect. Then we didn't have to bother BT, just paid the bills. When Covid came, we just didn't changed anything for fear that we may have issues .. especially when the saying, if it ain't broken don't fix it...

After upgrade to BT  Halo 3, Other part of the house especially downstairs are now not having a good WIFI signals. For example, if we put the dish in the middle(living room), the ring door bell will not be functioning. But the chime in the living room  works.  If we put at the front, then in the middle of the house signals will badly affected, that includes among other, the ring chime, phone etc etc.

if we put the dish in the conservatory/living room, for the back room, the whole downstairs will be affected, also there will be no ring door bells and chimes too. But the signals to the dish in the the back room will be perfect.

On the first floor, the back facing room where the router hub is situated -signal works ok. The front room get better signals  with a dish in it.

So at least the second floor  both rooms - have a reasonable signals.

Please can you help? Calling to repeat the problem is hard, as the call centre aren't that technical person.

Previously, we have been using 5 bt white dishes and 1 ubiquiti and all works perfectly.  Now we just changing the router hub 2 and 3 black mesh dishes, these are not sufficient especially if the house has got a lot of thick load bearing beams and etc. The living room, if using phone, the calls drops and breaking up, hence  the need for dishes at the front and the living room/ conservatory. 

Now after upgrade of package, the ring door bell/cam and chimes  etc, are not working as it should.   We cannot use our white dishes anymore as we were told  that it is not compatible. Ubiquity  dish too, now not compatible with the new hub and black dishes.

Also, whether BT wants its old router hub back? If so how do we go about returning it?

Please advice.

Thank you

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bad wifi despite upgrade

Just go back to how things were before. The black and white dishes are not compatible with each other, just don't use the black dishes. The white dishes will work with the new hub but won't form a mesh with it, exactly as your previous router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

if you have Halo 3 then you are entitled to get a BT home expert to come to your home to see if he can improve your connections within your home

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/bt-halo/what-is-bt-halo-and-how-can-i-get-it...

just phone CS 03301234150  and ask for visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

the white dishes and the ubiquity has been connected on its own. It is not working at all. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi, we did have expert came. He said need two more dish at least, as he tested the signal.  when called they said they sent the third one that is it.  Then we have to wait and see and call.

Ground floor's signals are very much affected with rings door cam and chime  etc  etc not able to function. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

have you check the ring app to see what the signal strength is by going to settings then device health/signal strength?

as ring uses 2.4ghz network have you tried turning off the 5ghz network in hub then connecting to the hub SSID on 2.4ghz and see if that improves the doorbell signal strength.  if so then just turn the 5ghz back on and doorbell should remain connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I would try a factory reset of the white discs and the ubiquiti, turn off the WiFi on the hub and set things up as they were before without the black discs.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

My situation was just like yours. Engineers out, three times. Could do nothing.

Excellent bandwidth on wired computers but wifi absolutely terrible. 

I do (and did) have my Hub 2 placed optimally—which is to say, high up (actually in the attic, where the signal had the least masonry to get through.) Then I did something odd—and incredibly simple.

I laid the hub flat—meaning: facing DOWN!

It turns out that the Hub 2 has (or at least seems to have) directional limitations. And now that it is effectively at the apex of a high cone, pointing down, not only has my wifi signal stopped dropping every two minutes, but it has increased from low single digits to the high 50s.

At this, I thought I’d give another old trick a try: I got a large sheet of aluminium foil (about 90cm), wrinkled it(!) Purely for rigidity, I crimped and rolled the edges to form a sort of square~ish “satellite dish.” Then, leaving a good gap for air circulation, I placed the “dish”  above (not “on”) the Hub 2 so as to “bounce” any skyward signals back down into the house. My wifi is now in the high 250s. — It’s not even close to BT’s guaranteed 700–but it is reasonably workable—and about 95% cosistent.

So use the three tricks together: high up, pointing down, and foil.

Hope this helps. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Good points but a year late for the OP.😀

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Oops. (Never noticed the date.)

In any event I wanted to put it out there for all who still need it.