cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Broadband dropping out

I have fibre to the house,  the latest BT home hub for digital voice, that's another story,

I have 3 white Wholehome discs, 1 connected to hub, other 2 by wi fi, all show on app Excellent Connection. 

The broad band is constantly dropping out sometimes for only 5 minutes  or so sometimes hours?

Since February 24th I have rung for assistance 16 times I have had 3 visits from Openreach enginers and 5 visits from inside engineers, I  thing Cube?

I have spent hours unplugging,  moving and generally doing whatever I can find on the Web?

My latest thoughts are to connect other 2 discs via lan cables back to my 8 way switch? 

This in mind they are already showing Excellent Connection, is it OK to have all 3 wired? 

In the meantime I look forward to seeing another engineer on Tuesday. 

Sorry about the moan, any help would be appreciated.  Once I get this problem resolved they  can try resolving the digital voice,  bring back the analogue line. Harry. 

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Broadband dropping out

No, according to BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation | BT Help you cannot have all three connected, the maximum is two depending upon what variant of Wholehome you have.

Are the dropouts consistently with any particular one or two of the discs ( i.e. no dropouts from the one connected to the hub by LAN?) 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Ray. Thanks for reply.

When I get drop-out it is the whole system that goes down.

Ironically the blue lights on hub remain on.

My laptop is connected direct to hub via cable. 

Speed test shows nothing to 8/20 over a short time. 

Sometime I have Internet but it is so slow that if streaming a film it is buffering. 

Only 2 people in house, no games etc.

I guess I am becoming paranoid and willing to try anything to resolve my problems. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

At a guess you've either got a dodgy optical terminator which you can do nothing about other than report as a fault or you've got a dodgy ONT.

Do either the LOS or PON lights flash (see https://www.bt.com/help/landline/lights-on-the-openreach-modem)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

@Les-Gibson  Are you sure a 8/20 would be FTTP? Sounds more like a FTTC connection. Just saying.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

@Carlusha 

@harrysta  very first words were 'I have fibre to the house'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 22

Les, checked via link, looks like I have 1 port modem? Top row. Port 1 flashing . Bottom row . Status steady.

I have Fibre 2. 74Mbps. Min guaranteed 34 Mbps.

When broadband drops if I do a quick speed test it can vary from unable to connect  to very low single figures and can slowly build up.

Engineers do not appear to have interest in the speed results going back over a year?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

@harrysta 

so you don't have fibre to the house as you posted originally but fibre to street cabinet and copple cable to your home - FTTC not FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

@Carlushawrote:

@Les-Gibson  Are you sure a 8/20 would be FTTP? Sounds more like a FTTC connection. Just saying.

Well, they don't call me Sherlock for no reason! I may be old but 100% correct at times!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

@Carlusha 

Indeed something doesn't seem to fit, as @imjolly has already stated @harrysta  first words were that he has FTTP but the speeds he quoted don't support that statement but then he confirms that he has an optical modem.

Confused.com 😕

0 Ratings