cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Bufferbloat high on full fibre

Hi guys.

I ran waveform bufferbloat test and it's 600ms on the upload and about 60ms on download on full fibre why these figures so high.   At mo for this test I'm on mobile direct to sh2.

Cheers guys.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bufferbloat high on full fibre

Its meaningless to run such a test over a wireless connection, which is shared resource subject to interference, which is almost guaranteed to result in buffering.

Connect a fast PC directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, then you would be able to see if there is any buffering on the fibre connection.

Even the fibre connection is shared with 31 other users, so some buffering is expected.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

> Its meaningless to run such a test over a wireless connection, which is shared resource subject to interference, which is almost guaranteed to result in buffering.

Yes. Since you have such a high-speed connection from the ISP, the Wi-Fi becomes the bottleneck. That means that your router's Wi-Fi now has too much buffering.

The solution is well-known: the "Ending the Anomaly" paper from 2017 [1] describes how the author re-jiggered the queuing in Wi-Fi drivers for multiple chip architectures to achieve low latency.

Perhaps BT could implement these algorithms in their routers. Or you could simply purchase another router with this fix to provide Wi-Fi to your home

[1] https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc17/atc17-hoiland-jorgensen.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@Keith_Beddoe 

"Connect a fast PC"

Out of interest, what sort of PC specifications would qualify as "fast" for reliable results on Buffer Bloat tests?

For example, my desktop PC is quite old - it has a 2nd Generation Intel processor, but it is an i7. There is 32Gb of RAM and the gigabit ethernet port is cabled to the router. It runs the latest version of Linux Mint operating system.

Would that qualify as "fast", or too old/slow now? It is plenty fast enough for my needs!

0 Ratings