cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Using 2 BT Routers

Go to solution

Hi,

I have a BT Router which is 5 years old, and am thinking that it may be slow so want to replace it.

I've had a new Router from BT but don't want to re-connect a lot of devices at my house - especially the alarm which would require an engineer to do.

Is it possible to:

1. Setup the new router so it that the existing devices will connect to it - so basically the same credentials as the old one?

OR

2. Keep the existing router connected, and connect the new one to it (possibly by network cable).  I would then connect my new devices to the new router.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Using 2 BT Routers

Go to solution

I doubt the new router will be any 'faster' than the old one, but yes, you can change the WiFi name and password to that of the old router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

The only issue you may encounter is if you've split the 2.4 & 5GHz bands into separate SSIDs & now have a Smart Hub 2, as that is not possible with the SH2.

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

You can use both routers connected by an ethernet cable. To do so you will need to disable DHCP on one of them (probably the old one if the new one is to be connected to BB). You will need to decide whether you want one SSID for both or separate ones. I would keep them separate that will also allow a way of keeping the SSID of the 2.4 and 5MHz bands separate. You can then migrate things over in your own time or keep some on each. 

0 Ratings