cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Can I get a modem with this box?

Go to solution

04E64DC0-DFDF-4EB9-A37A-C18D93940E97.jpeg

I am considering buying a by modem and I need to know wether I can get one with this. This box is the only one I could find in the house (just moved in)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can I get a modem with this box?

Go to solution

to access the internet you will need to take out a broadband contract with an ISP of your choice and they will supply a modem /router which will connect to to openreach master socket

Just connecting a modem to socket will not get you internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks, but am I meant to have the socket already or would they install it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

if you order broadband from an ISP then openreach will install the appropriate connection and a master socket .  that is  a master socket so you home is already wired for openreach connection and just needs activated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

As already stated , if you want broadband /WiFi you don’t usually buy a modem yourself , first you need to order a broadband service with an ISP , they should determine if your address can be brought into service with or without an Openreach visit, if they say it can be done without a visit , they set up your account and send out a modem which you would install yourself ( probably to the socket you have pictured ) and give you a go live date , if a visit is necessary they tell you when that install  visit will be , they still send out the modem , but it may need the installer visiting to make that socket ‘live’ , Openreach may install a new socket if that one defective  ….you could always buy a modem yourself, but you would still need to make an order with an ISP and in the majority of cases , especially with mass market ISP , they will send a modem anyway, you don’t simply plug in a modem you have bought yourself and expect ‘broadband’ to work 

0 Ratings