cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can I remove old unused BT sockets in my house?

Go to solution

The BT box on the outside wall of our house has 3 wires coming out of it going to sockets in different rooms in our house. We only use the socket in our living room so I want to remove the other two (wires and all) as it’s a mess.

Inside the two sockets i want to remove there are two wires connected (orange and white) and two floating free (black and green).

my question is can I do something about disconnecting the unused wires at the box outside the house (which would allow me to remove all the external rubbish as well as the unused sockets) or should i leave that box and just cutoff the wires at the two sockets and “lose” them in the wall.

sorry if this questions already been asked/answered but I couldn’t find anything.

ta Steve

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can I remove old unused BT sockets in my house?

Go to solution

You could remove the wiring however you would need to  make the one remaining socket a main/master. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

If the three sockets were wired from the one point , rather than in series, that is ‘star’ wiring and isn’t very good from a broadband speed and faulting point of view, so removing the unnecessary wiring and sockets and only leaving one ( master ) socket may improve broadband performance as well tidying up the cabling 

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Odd that the 2 sockets you want to remove have external cable rather than internal cable. A few pictures of the various locations and connections would help.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The external box looks like attached.C847E2AF-AE4F-4FFA-A857-8CA22D7147B5.jpeg

and the internal sockets like this76C67B4C-C1BF-479B-868A-532387A16EB1.jpeg

does that help in diagnosing? Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

It should never have been wired like that. Just remove the cables from the external box to the extension sockets you wish to remove. Make sure the remaining socket is a master socket.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice Historically that is how wiring was done before NTE's came on the scene.

Even after they introduced NTE's  I remember converting a star wired instalation by putting an NTE 5B in the loft with all secondary sockets radiating out from there. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

In my day it was 40lb cc wires terminated in an insulator 16 with a lead sheathed lead-in cable to a block terminal 20/4 😄

bt_20-4.jpginsulator 16.jpg

0 Ratings