cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Can I replace my BT Smart Hub 2 with a TP-Link AC1200 Archer C6?

HI there, 

As the title says, I am looking to try and replace my current BT smart Hub 2 with the TP-Link AC1200 Archer C6. Is this possible? If so, can someone please run me through how to do this or link me to somewhere that goes through it? 

My internet is Fibre BT Halo 3. 

I am very new with this so please go easy 🙂

The TP-Link AC1200 CR is a Gigabit / MU-MIMO mesh WIFI router. 

If it can't be used instead of the smart hub then can I use it as an access point to extend the WIFI? 

Any help is appreciated! TIA. 

P.S. Please let me know if you need any additional information and I will try and find it out. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can I replace my BT Smart Hub 2 with a TP-Link AC1200 Archer C6?

do you have digital voice as that only works with SH2.  if not then you can replace hub with another router - do you have FTTC or FTTP?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

HI there, 

Thanks for coming back to me. I don't have digital voice. I am not sure how to check hat type of connection I have, how can I check that? It's fibre to box in the street then to the premises so I think it's FTTC. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

If you have FTTC as you describe then you need a modem/router to replace the SH2 and the tplink appears to be just a router so you need a separate modem like hg612 probably best from ebay

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

HI there, 

Thank you very much for the help. I will look into that. 

If I kept the Smart Hub 2 could I use the TP Link router as an access point to extend the signal? Or would a mesh system like TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System be better for that? 

0 Ratings