Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 7

Can I use an xDSL Modem behind the BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I have a VDSL2 FTTC line, I was wondering if I can have my own separate modem which just does Modulate/Demodulate in VDSL2 with G.INP profile 17 and use the Smart Hub 2 in FTTP mode (WAN) instead of the typical DSL broadband mode with the modem/router combo setup.

This is simply because I would like to have a more reliable line in which the modem and router is split and the uptime of the modem can in practice be longer with less chances of resync as the Smart Hub 2 will use less heat as it is just  as a router/switch/access point. The modem part is moved to a new device.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I use an xDSL Modem behind the BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Yes, you can do that. Just set LAN port4 to WAN mode by selecting FTTP mode

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Oh sweet, that would be handy. So the fttp mode is just to be clear from what you say is a normal wan port connection as pure router mode not just strictly for a ont output but any modem output like the VDSL2 modems?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Correct

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Great, with a Modem setup into VDSL2 is their anything I need to be aware of like any tag reference or anything in the bridging or does it just need to be a bridge with no flags or anything and just work. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

What modem are you intending to use?  If an Huawei Hg612 from Ebay, it is just plug and play.

If a different modem, you will need to set the VLAN id to 101

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Oh I was thinking of doing it on a third party, so yeah a VLAN ID tag of 101. Case sorted. Thanks for the confirmations.