cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Can I use the TP LINK AV1000 Powerline Starter Kit between FTTP and Hub2?

I have FTTP next to my front door.  My hub2 router is currently by the front door as is my wireless phone master for digital phone.  Previously, my router and phone master were upstairs in my study and plugged into the landline socket.

I would like to have my hub2 and phone master upstairs.  Can I use the TP LINK AV1000 Powerline Starter Kit between the FTTP and the Hub2?

I already use a couple of BT Extenders to link my TV.

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I use the TP LINK AV1000 Powerline Starter Kit between FTTP and Hub2?

@Strat4dMRS 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You could try, but bear in mind that Powerline adapters use the mains to transmit high frequencies, and any additional adapters are going to have to share those same frequencies, so I would expect to see fairly poor performance  which is likely to affect both systems.

It would be better to run an Ethernet cable between the ONT and the home hub, otherwise you are not going to see the benefit of FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, Keith.

I am using a BT Halo Disc in the study to link my desktop, laptops and TV (via the BT Extenders) wirelessly to the Hub2 downstairs.  It is giving speeds of between ~450 and ~700 Mb.  I was hoping to get to the potential 900 Mb with the Powerline units.  Unfortunately, a LAN cable is not practicable.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@Strat4dMRS 

If you are using the wireless discs to extent your network, then they use a backhaul wireless channel, and would not affect powerline adapters.

You would have to try the TP Link powerline adapters, but most fail to reach the maximum speed quoted by the manufacturer, as it depends on the transmission capabilities of your mains wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

It might be OK for 100Mb but probably not higher & certainly nowhere near 900Mb. Unfortunately the industry standard for rating powerline adapters is based on pure fantasy, so you'll never get anywhere near the rated speed. But as above, the only way to know for sure is to try it & see.

Probably worth researching reviews for the best real-world speeds for any given adapter, but that will still be dependent on your own wiring. Again as above, probably better to offset the cost of decent adapters against the cost of having an ethernet cable fitted.

Message 6 of 6

So true, if you have 900FTTP you are going to kill it with a powerline adapter, I tried about 4 different kits all claiming x y and z and I never saw above 50Mbps not to mention time outs.

I spent a long time trying to avoid running ethernet around my house because if the walls are currently down its pretty hard to do without making a giant mess.

In the end I went from the router and drilled back out to the front of the house, got a nice white cat5e cable and then went straight up the wall into the loft, in the loft installed a switch and then from there I fed the other rooms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings