cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Can solar panels affect WiFi?

The day after solar panels were installed on the roof above our study we started having WiFi problems.  The BT hub is in our study.

We have since replaced the hub and added repeater disks, to no avail.

To me it seems too much of a coincidence, but I am not an electrician or WiFi expert.  Could the solar panels be causing the problem?  Are there documented cases of this happening?

Your answers will be welcome.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Can solar panels affect WiFi?

A quick Google for "can solar panels interfere with wifi" suggests that it is possible if unlikely

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Certainly had no effect here when solar panels were fitted. Have you tried changing WiFi channels?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Are the cables and the inverter for the solar panels near to your BT hub. If they are they could in some way be causing interference that is affecting your wireless signal. If possible try moving the location of your hub to see if it helps.   

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

I'm not sure how I would do that.  Could you give me details, please, or a pointer to an explanation?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

It depends on what type of broadband you have. 

If you have full fibre broadband you could buy a long Ethernet cable. You would disconnect the Ethernet cable that connects the BT Hub to the Fibre modem (ONT) and replace the cable with your "new" Ethernet cable and this would allow you to move it the distance that your new Ethernet cable is long.

If your BT Hub is plugged into the phone socket, you would need to buy a telephone extension cable and again you would replace the cable that is presently plug into the BT hub and phone socket and move the BT hub.

In both instances this is just a way of being able to move the BT hub to see if it helps.

If it does help you would need to position the BT hub in the best place and fix the replacement cables in a more permanent way.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

@msjhaffey wrote:

I'm not sure how I would do that.  Could you give me details, please, or a pointer to an explanation?

It depends on what you are asking, without attribution or quoting it is difficult to know which post you are replying to.

Message 9 of 26

Certainly had no effect here when solar panels were fitted. Have you tried changing WiFi channels?

I'm not sure how I would do that.  Could you give me a pointer as tow how, please?

I think you also suggested moving the BT hub.  The cables are short but I managed to get it to the doorway of the study and it seemed to have fewer problems (though it is hard to judge).

Full fibre is being installed here "soon".  I'm hoping when they do the bit from the edge of the property (which was done last week) to our house (which is the "soon" bit) that they will be prepared to put the socket in our entrance hall.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

A quick Google for "can solar panels interfere with wifi" suggests that it is possible if unlikely

Indeed.  I'm hoping for someone who will be able to say "I had that problem and we fixed it this way." 🙂
0 Ratings