cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: Can solar panels affect WiFi?

This seems to suggest the same thing:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/solar-panels-and-wifi-connection.39372/

Thanks, WSH.  I am trawling through that to see what I can use in discussion with the solar panel installer.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 26

on ‎27-02-2023 15h59

Message 7 of 11

It depends on what type of broadband you have. 

If you have full fibre broadband you could buy a long Ethernet cable. You would disconnect the Ethernet cable that connects the BT Hub to the Fibre modem (ONT) and replace the cable with your "new" Ethernet cable and this would allow you to move it the distance that your new Ethernet cable is long.

If your BT Hub is plugged into the phone socket, you would need to buy a telephone extension cable and again you would replace the cable that is presently plug into the BT hub and phone socket and move the BT hub.

In both instances this is just a way of being able to move the BT hub to see if it helps.

If it does help you would need to position the BT hub in the best place and fix the replacement cables in a more permanent way.

Thank you.  As posted in a reply to another kind poster, we don't yet have full fibre, but will "soon".  I hope that when that is done the installer will put the connection point in our hallway. (When my son got full fibre a few months ago, the installer were very helpful in this respect.)

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 26

@msjhaffeywrote:

A quick Google for "can solar panels interfere with wifi" suggests that it is possible if unlikely

Indeed.  I'm hoping for someone who will be able to say "I had that problem and we fixed it this way." 🙂

The advice to resolve the problem is given in several of the articles that Google refers to.

From what I've read they talk about careless solar panel cable routing and faulty inverters, in either case if moving the router brings about an improvement then you are probably best off referring the problem to your solar panel installer

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

@msjhaffey wrote:

Certainly had no effect here when solar panels were fitted. Have you tried changing WiFi channels?

I'm not sure how I would do that.  Could you give me a pointer as tow how, please?

In the hub manager, go to Advanced settings > Wireless and set the wifi channels manually rather than 'Smart'.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

Does the problem show up at night as well as during the day?  Since the panels produce next to nothing at night if the problem goes away then it does reinforce the idea that the PV installation is responsible in some way. If the problem remains however, that does not mean the PV  is blameless.  If you can turn off the inverter (there should be an AC isolator to do so) and retest that might also help to determine if part of the PV install is affecting the WiFi,

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 26

.  If you can turn off the inverter (there should be an AC isolator to do so) and retest that might also help to determine if part of the PV install is affecting the WiFi,

Good idea.  I'll give it a go.  Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

In the hub manager, go to Advanced settings > Wireless and set the wifi channels manually rather than 'Smart'.

Thank you. I will try that tomorrow when I am more awake.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 26

I too have similar issues and can provide additional information. 

I belive my WiFi became significantly less stable after my solar installation.  I have a growatt inverter, batteries and about 6kw of panels  .   The inverter and battery is sited in my loft, and WiFi hub is in my study about 25 foot underneath that.

Since solar installation the WiFi signal,  as monitored on 3 different devices sited within about 3 feet  of the router and each using a different technology indicate an unreliable WiFi.  WiFi seems to drop every few minutes and then recover minutes later.  I have moved anything suspect from being by my hub.

I find reliability improves significant at night, I guess meaning after sundown. 

It's driving me bonkers! 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

I have a similar problem. But I think it's caused by the inverter.. I am currently looking into .. it could be the AC wave form from the inverter is not clean so this disruptes the router..
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

From a technical perspective.

Sine Wave inverter that convert DC to mains consist of a two stage process.

The first stage converts the low voltage to a high voltage. This uses a high frequency invertor to keep the transformer very small, and the efficiency high. This is likely to cause harmonic components which can easily interfere with broadband and wi-fi signals if not properly screened.

The second stage uses solid state switches (MOSFETS) to switch and reverse the output voltage at mains frequency (Sine Wave) tied to the incoming grid frequency and phase. Its unlikely that is causing issues as there is extensive filtering on the output to prevent any noise being injected into the grid or household supply.

I expect the the amount of screening depends on the quality of manufacture.

Our neighbour has a GivEnergy system on the wall outside, and I have not noticed any interference. In fact it uses a 2.4GHz wireless connection to connect to the GivEnergy cloud.

0 Ratings