cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 26

Re: Can solar panels affect WiFi?

Morning.. well written.. 👍

But the router will work via the generator but not via the inverter so I'm concluding it has to be sensitive to the waveform some how..

It is powered via a AC DC converter as you know so I am wondering if it's causing interference on the DC waveform. Spikes maybe

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 26

@Genhire 

The invertor I was referring to is a "Grid-Tied" invertor, which has to be of very high quality to allow it to be connected to the grid.

A "stand alone" off grid invertor is unlikely to be of similar quality, and may even output a simulated sine wave which tends to have spikes on the output waveform which can upset the performance of the switched mode power unit powering the router. 

A generator, by the way it works, generates a perfect sine wave without any distortion.

A possible solution might be a mains low-pass filter on the output of the invertor to modify the waveform slightly to reduce any harmonic content.

There now are plenty of high quality low voltage to sine wave invertors available, depending on the DC input voltage. So if all else fails, then a better quality invertor may be the solution.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 26

I am assured it's a pure sine wave inverter and couldn't afford to replace it .

i have just purchased an oscilascope to check.

Sorry about the under line can't take it off 🤣

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 26

If anyone is interested I have spent hours trying to get to the bottom of this and I think I have resolved it, well in my case.
My router shuts down when I am using the solar system.
First I thought it was the inverter but after investigating I believe it is because my phone cable travels above the panels on the roof so when these are turned on charging the batteries they must have enough magnetic field to disrupt the network signals.. if they are turned off all is well.. I hope this might resolve other people's problems..
Message 25 of 26

@Genhire 

There would not be much, if any, filtering on the DC side of the invertor which the panels are feeding.

As the DC to DC first stage of the inverter run at a high frequency, the there is likely to be a lot of induced noise present on the panels which could easily interfere with the broadband signal, which is at quite a low level.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 26

Every day is a school day..

Just got to convince open reach to move the cable

0 Ratings