cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Can’t connect broadband cable

My wall port only fits rj45 cable heads, and the smart hub that was sent to me needs an rj11 head to connect to it. Other people I’ve talked to have said that their smart hub just had a normal rj45 port for broadband. How will I connect the smart hub to the wall port if it needs 2 different cables. I can’t find any adapters or filters online. They are all for BT phone ports. Can I just get a cable with a rj45 end and the other side an rj11 head?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can’t connect broadband cable

Are you on full fibre or just "fibre"?

If the former, the RJ45 lead is to connect from the yellow port marked 4 on the hub to the ONT.  (That no. 4 port must also be configured for full fibre mode).

If you are on just "fibre"/FTTC/VDSL/ADSL then there should be a lead with RJ11 plugs that connects from the DSL port on the router to the phone socket.  Don't be fooled by the phone socket.  The modern ones will take an RJ45 or an RJ11.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Okay, I only have “fibre”, when I connected the rj11 yesterday, I got the flashing orange light (smart hub is trying to connect to broadband). But it would never connect, it would just stay flashing orange. Is this because BT hasn’t activated or patched my port yet?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yes, if you unplug the cable you will notice the hub turns purple rather than orange meaning it has no physical connectivity.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Ok, so I just need to wait for that then? Is that something the “engineer” has to do when they come? I’d hate to have to wait another 10 days for that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

What date have you been given for activation?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I set up my plan on the 14th, the only other date I’ve noticed was the 29th which is when the engineer is supposed to come.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Then the 29th will be your activation date.

0 Ratings