cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Cannot Connect BT TV Via Google Nest Router And Mini Connector Kit

I have a BT TV box, Google Nest WiFi and a BT SmartHub. To watch TV I can plug the mini connector into the BT SmartHub at one end and the BT TV box at the other end of the mini connector. However as the BT TV box is not on the wifi network the Android BT TV app cannot find the box.

The Google Nest Wifi router is also plugged into the BT Smarthub and all is good. If I run a cable from Google Nest WiFi into the mini connector instead of directly from the BT SmartHub the BT TV box recognises it is on the network and assigns an IP address but will not show any TV from BT Sport.

I have restarted the BT SmartHub and the BT TV box, no TV. I changed the Nest router to use ISP DNS in place of Google DNS, no TV. I enabled IPv6 on the Nest router, no TV.

Is there anything else I need to change or can I simply not access BT TV via a Nest router wired connection?

FYI my ultimate aim is to connect a second Nest Router connected to the primary one via an additional mini connector so would prefer not to have this one also connected to the BT SmartHub.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot Connect BT TV Via Google Nest Router And Mini Connector Kit

Is there an option to enable IGMP snooping on the Google nest? Not sure whether Multicast will work with 2 routers and double natting in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Bit confused by this @Gashead.

"However as the BT TV box is not on the wifi network the Android BT TV app cannot find the box". What are you trying to do here? If the Android device is connected to the BT Smart Hub, and the BT TV box is also connected to it, the Android device should be able to see the BT TV box - I assume this is just so that you can pair the app with your box to enable remote recordings?

I wouldn't recommend trying to run your BT TV box through any other routers - it only adds complication and increases risk of failure.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The phone connects to the BT router via the Nest Wifi network. Although the BT TV box is connected to the same router the Android app doesn't find the box. The only way I was able to pair the app with the BT TV box was by plugging the BT TV box into the Nest router rather than directly into the BT router. Which is where we came in...although via this connection method the BT TV box says it has a wired connection it cannot play any content.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

There is no mention in the configuration of IGMP. Will take an online primer in double natting!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Ok understood. Pairing is a one time activity, so now that it's done I would recommend you keep your BT box connected directly to the BT Hub and use your Google Nest for all other internet access. Is that an option for you?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

That does work however not optimal for my next trick! I want to install a second Nest router at the opposite end of the house to the primary one as Nest routers have stronger wifi than the non-router Nest points and they also have ethernet ports gaining both the benefits of being part of the mesh and ethernet connectivity. Google advise that you set this up as a point to join the mesh then use ethernet to connect to the primary router. By having the mini connector in place for BT Sport between the BT router connection and the BT TV I am concerned at using the same mains network to connect my second Nest router to my primary Nest router. Being directly connected to both the Nest router and the BT Homehub may cause undesirable conflicts.

I have found the enable bridging option in the BT Homehub so wonder if this may allow the BT Sport box to connect to the Nest router only and through there actually play content. With a household all "relying" on the network I am loathe to burger it up.

0 Ratings