cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 53

Re: Cannot connect to Netgear Wifi Router

Go to solution

are you using a pc connected by ethernet to the router?  if so enter 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar not search  that should access the router management and allow you to enter admin password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 22 of 53

Go to solution

Yes, I connected the cable from the BT modem to the Netgear router

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 53

Go to solution

That is correct, so now I need to configure it. 

How to configure it? Can I do that -

BT modem connect to BT Hub Router > Configure it >> Then after configured it >> connect BT modem to the new Netgear router

If I can, can you teach me how to configure it, which page to go to? Where to go into the setting?

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 53

Go to solution

you should be connecting your pc/laptop to the netgear router with ethernet cable then enter into browser address bar 192.168.1.1 and you need to enter your netgear admin password to enter the netgear management page.  you need to get there first before any more changes.

you don't need to connect the BT Hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 25 of 53

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

are you using a pc connected by ethernet to the router?  if so enter 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar not search  that should access the router management and allow you to enter admin password

That's the way to do it. Do not try to set up the router with the horrible Netgear Nighthawk app.

Maybe the router has somehow got itself misconfigured as @3465TYP wrestles with it.

A good start might be to reset the Netgear router and start from scratch.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then check that the instructions from @imjolly work.

This would throw up any problems that Windows, for example, may be bringing to the party. It loves blocking off new networks that it deems "unsafe".

That approach would even allow @3465TYP to update the firmware on the Netgear router.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then connect the Netgear router to the BT box and take it through the Internet setup wizard. It should detect the settings and connect. When it comes to IPv6 settings, some of Netgear older routers do not support BT's implementation. In my case, the Auto detect option worked just fine.

Message 26 of 53

Go to solution

The only connection you need is your PC to the Netgear. There is no need to connect anything else until you have configured the Netgear with the PPPoE credentials posted earlier

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

Once you have done that, connect the Netgear to the ONT (modem). The BT hub is not required at all.

Message 27 of 53

Go to solution
"you should be connecting your pc/laptop to the netgear router with ethernet cable then enter into browser address bar 192.168.1.1"

That is the crucial question which the OP has not answered. I suspect that the OP is trying to set up the Nighthawk with his PC or laptop connected to it by WiFi. That won't work - the connection has to be with an ethernet cable
Message 28 of 53

Go to solution

Thank you everyone for all your help. 

So now I only need to connect my PC to Netgear, using the cable not wifi. Then enter into browser address bar 192.168.1.1.
I don't event need to connect that to the BT modem on the wall, am I correct? 

What I did wrong previously was I have connected the BT modem on the wall to Netgear router, then wifi to PC.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 53

Go to solution

@3465TYPwrote:

So now I only need to connect my PC to Netgear, using the cable not wifi. Then enter into browser address bar 192.168.1.1.

Wired is better but, as long as there is nothing else between the router and the BT box – the old BT modem/router for example – you can use wifi to connect to the router.

You do this using the default SSID and password on the label on the Netgear router. Then use a browser to enter 192.168.1.1 into browser address bar.

But, to repeat, wired is best. It is easier and less likely to fall over if there are wifi issues.

Message 30 of 53

Go to solution

@michaelkenwardwrote:

A good start might be to reset the Netgear router and start from scratch

Good luck with that. I've suggested it twice now& been ignored both times...