cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 7

Circumnavigating BT Firewall

Go to solution
For about 2 months now I have been unable to access some websites that I was able to previously.  I have been through the mill and haven't been able to find a resolution; however, I have recently come to the conclusion that some of these websites are being blocked by BT Hub Firewall and I keep getting messages such as "This site can’t provide a secure connection".  No resolution on the internet seems to work.  BT customer service says it could be a browser issue (I use Chrome, Firefox, Edge) but I have been able to access the said websites via hotspot and also via other network providers hence I think it's a BT issue.  Is there any way to circumnavigate the firewall so I can use my laptop at home to access these blocked websites, one of which is a trading platform?

I would appreciate help on this matter.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7

Circumnavigating BT Firewall

Go to solution

For about 2 months now I have been unable to access some websites that I was able to previously.  I have been through the mill and haven't been able to find a resolution; however, I have recently come to the conclusion that some of these websites are being blocked by BT Hub Firewall and I keep getting messages such as "This site can’t provide a secure connection".  No resolution on the internet seems to work.  BT customer service says it could be a browser issue (I use Chrome, Firefox, Edge) but I have been able to access the said websites via hotspot and also via other network providers hence I think it's a BT issue.  Is there any way to circumnavigate the firewall so I can use my laptop at home to access these blocked websites, one of which is a trading platform?

I would appreciate help on this matter.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Circumnavigating BT Firewall

Go to solution

Its not the hub firewall preventing access.

Are the sites HTTP rather than HTTPS? If so, it will be your browser preventing access.

Make sure web protect is turned off.

https://www.bt.com/help/security/set-up-and-use-bt-web-protect

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Let me try this and see if it works.  Thank you for your prompt response.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

"This site can’t provide a secure connection" normally means the site doesn't have a certificate to prove who it is and is unable to provide a secure connection.

Below that first message on a page, you'll often (not always) have an "advanced" button, that then takes you to a "proceed to whatever site" link, which will take you there at your own risk.

In the case of a trading platform which can't prove it is who it says it is, and cannot provide a secure connection, I might not want to be providing such a site with any financial details!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It could be a DNS issue, with BT blocking the DNS.

You cannot change the DNS on the BT router but you can on the individual device. Try Cloudfire 1.1.1.1

Please bare in mind that there might be a good reason why it's blocked so go careful

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you so much! This seems to have done the trick. Thank you as well for the advice. Much appreciated
0 Ratings