cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Complete WiFi (Black) Disc Dropping to 2.4GHz

Hi,

My BT Complete WiFi black disc keeps dropping down from 5GHz to a 2.4GHz connection with the SH2 and never goes back.  When it's power cycled it connects back at 5GHz, works great and stays there from anywhere between several hours to a day or so, but eventually drops down to 2.4GHz causing slow speeds for any connected devices.

When it's connected at 5GHz the connection status is listed as good and the strength is shown as -65 dBm, and when it's at 2.4GHz it's at -45 dBm.

The disc and SH2 are not too far apart, with the disc being about 4m directly above the SH2; they're just on different floors.  If I stand at the base of the stairs I can see both the SH2 and the disc at the same time so I don't see there should be an issue.

Looking on the forums there are a number of people complaining about this same issue, but are going back to last year so I assume this issue is resolved now?  I'm running 0.23.00.08070 firmware on the disc.

Any thoughts or suggestions please? Is the disc or SH2 faulty? Thank you.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Complete WiFi (Black) Disc Dropping to 2.4GHz

Hi @Blackmesa 

Exactly the same here. I have the original disc with the old BT logo on the front. It has been fine for well over a year and a half but now drops down to 2.4 GHz. A new release of firmware must be due. 27 on SH2 and 23 on the discs, they used to be close if not the same.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

@VeteranISPUser  Same here. My disc has the older BT logo. It's a real shame as in this state, it's not really an option for me and will have to look at another hardware solution. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Back to 2.4 GHz this morning.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Back to 2.4 GHz this morning again! Is this logged in a Complete WiFi bug list somewhere?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

I think it's just (another) bug in the SH2 firmware.

All my disks are connected by Gigabit ethernet. Yet they all show as connected with 2.4G wifi in the connected device list. Several of my 5G wifi devices also show as connected by ethernet!

I really wish they'd stop messing about with these firmware updates!
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Hi @supertedster 

I used to have the disc connected by Ethernet, which as you say shows up as connected by 2.4 GHz but in fact worked perfectly with 5 GHz devices. I had to move the disc to a more deserving place without Ethernet.

Unfortunately this is not a simple reporting issue, when it drops down to a 2.4 GHz connection, all the 5 GHz devices either drop off completely or reduce down to the slower 2.4 GHz.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

I have the same problem.

A few observations...

When discs drop to 2.4Ghz they will not reconnect to SH2 after a hub reset and need individual power on reset.

When discs drop to 2.4Ghz they show excellent signal on Android app, on 5Ghz they show as good.

As I have 2 discs I suspect it may be SH2 related. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Update...

I've tried a factory reset of the SH2 (using backup and restore to keep my settings) and so far both discs have remained on 5Ghz for over a day. 

I've had one disc for about a year and that needed rebooting every two or three weeks, when I added the 2nd disc last month both needed rebooting in less than a day. Over a day so far since factory reset, famous last words.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

6 days okay but back to 2.4 GHz this morning. Has this issue been logged with Complete WiFi?

0 Ratings