cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Connected to homehub manager. Different name?

Go to solution

I connect to homehub manager (192.168.1.254), and my network has the wrong name, on top of that, it has various devices connected and not connected, and none of my own, not even the device I'm using to connect. 

I factory reset the hub when id received it for the digital voice upgrade or whatever. And it was fine, it started acting slow so I went to log in.

It seems like it was a refurbished router, but it's still on its old settings after resetting? Or maybe I've somehow connected to a neighbour's internet settings whilst being on my own router?

Any advice appreciated 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connected to homehub manager. Different name?

Go to solution

An update 

So the SSID/Network name is 50/50, if I refresh the page it shows the wrong network, then the right one.

Also, it has my devices under 5ghz or ethernet.

Then there's a section called 'Wifi Disc'

And has a range of random devices I've never seen?

Is someone connected via whatever these WiFi disc are? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

How are you connecting to your hub, directly with an Ethernet cable , wirelessly or via powerline type adapters ,  AFAIR, there was a similar post and the ‘culprit’ was powerline adapters , which seemingly were connected to a neighbour network via mains wiring 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I am also connected via power line, but as I have realised now, the IDs on 5Ghz, 2.4ghz and ethernet are identifiable by me (my own devices). And I used my mobile device to check the hub manager, so I was connected via 5Ghz to do so. So I don't think that would explain the different SSID/network name appearing? 

Also the random IDs seemingly only appears on my 'Wifi Disc' section. And as far as I am aware, I do not have a WiFi disc, is that to do with BT-wifi? Do you think it's something to do with that? I have opted out of that for now.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I feel like my explanation is getting convoluted. So I will list the current issues

1. SSID on BT homehub manager appears different 50% of the time. When I log into the manager, someone else's network appears, then I log out and back in, my network appears. It's the same 2 networks, mine or this other one. 

2. When its on the other network, the connected devices on 2.4ghz/5ghz/ethernet are similar to the ones on MY  SSID/network in the section 'WIFI DISC'. I do not have one of these.

- I use a power line on my desktop, but I utilise the website/hub manager  through my phone connecting via 5ghz 

My findings - Some googling leads me to believe it is to do with 'BT-Wifi', and i have since opted out on the website. But the issues above persist. 

Does anyone have an explanation for points 1 and 2 considering all this? 

It feels like a security issue, and it's not comfortable to use my own personal internet right now.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

The first thing to do is to disconnect the powerline adapters and see if the problem disappears.

Can you access the advanced settings on both hub managers? This requires a password, and should therefore only work with ' your' hub password.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I think turning off the power line and factory resetting did something.

I don't connect to the 'other' hubs manager anymore. So that issue seems to be resolved.

I don't have the other devices either. So it's seemingly resolved.

Now all my devices are connected to the 'Wifi Disc' section however which is strange. I'll spend some time figuring that out myself.

For now I guess it's resolved, if I have further issues I'll post again another time.

(Solution for others: power line seems to be culprit for weird connection/odd connection, even though my house is detached and a distance from others,  also needed to factory reset to remove the other connections. I lastly changed my SSID/password incase it was something sketchier). 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Been a while since I connected a PC to my hub with Ethernet ( mostly wireless devices ) but my TV is connected directly to the SH2 , using the browser on the TV I can access the hub advanced settings without entering any passwords…and TBH , it makes sense, it a directly connected device, powerline device present a defacto Ethernet connection so accessing the advanced settings probably won’t need any password either …TBH , it’s pretty clear that its ‘ power line ‘ devices that are responsible for this odd situation.

Resetting has caused your  powerline device to re associate with each other rather than a neighbours powerline device , powerline devices can and do this even though you would think you and your neighbours electricity supplies are separated by your individual consumer units .

0 Ratings