cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Connecting a WI-FI Bridge to a spare Home Hub ( will it work ) ??

Hi all, I have a WI-FI bridge which is a Vonets WIFI bridge device  . The device is brilliant, rather like an external wireless adapter,  but this device connects using ethernet to the lan port on your pc/laptop ( unlike most wifi adapters that use USB )

Question, and I havent tried it as yet, is , would it be possible to connect this bridge directly to a  lan port on a spare  BT hub, where DHCP has been disabled and its IP address is way out of the range of the IP address of the router at the AP ? So that the Hub will distribute WIFI within its vicinity . I cant see why this would not work unless i've missed something.

Any thoughts most welcome

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connecting a WI-FI Bridge to a spare Home Hub ( will it work ) ??

In theory it should work because all you are doing (as far as the hub is concerned) bringing an ethernet connection to it which is connected wirelessly back to your LAN. Then the hub will just act as an AP for that LAN.

I assume you cannot get real ethernet there so you are using this bridge.

Im not ruling out something odd could happen but I think the theory is fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, yep, I cant see why it wont work so Im going to have a play tomorrow hopefully, 

The scenario is this, - at a holiday centre we go to ( in the middle of a forest ) there is no 4 or 5 G mobile - there s wifi distributed by one or 2 hubs in the on site reception / shop which is fine if you park near the shop , - back at the cabin, theres no wifi , - the bridge I have, pulls in approx twice as many local routers ( where I live ) so the plan / experiment , is to put this thing at the top of a beam, and feed the ethernet to the hub for distribution in the cabin . Thats the theory anyway 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Certainly worth a shot, try the theory at home first though in controlled conditions. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings