cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Master socket

Hi can anyone help, I am decorating and unplugged my router when I plugged it back in it was purple and the phone said check phone line, I did a check by plugging the phone into box with the face plate removed and it worked I had a spare face plate but still getting nothing? 

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Master socket

I think I recall that some master socket faceplates just click into position without requiring screws to hold them - and this causes a poor connection between the phone socket on the faceplate and the socket inside that is actually connected to the phone/broadband line.
Since your phone worked when plugged into the socket inside the master socket than I think this is the problem.
You could try jiggling the faceplate around to get a better connection and then maybe taping it in place to keep it that way.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Hi thanks I have tried that didn't work I don't understand how it's not working? Would this be a charge if an engineer came out?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Hi I have checked wiring into master socket there are 2 wires not connected orange and green and 2 that are is this the issue? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

You say you unplugged your router and then tested the phone in the test socket.  Have you tested the router in the test socket?  Does the phone work with the faceplate fitted?  If the phone works and the router doesn’t it suggests the cable between the router and the socket is faulty.

Edit: The two spare wires is not unusual.  They are exactly that, spare.  Although, orange and green is unusual.  The pairs used are usually orange and white or black and green.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Thank you I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the wan port and the phone line came back on ? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Are you on FTTP (i.e. full fibre, ethernet cable from the router to an ONT) or FTTC (i.e. fibre, a DSL cable from the router to the master socket)?  Your original post suggested the latter.  In which case an ethernet cable from the WAN port will not work.  It needs an RJ11 cable from the grey DSL port.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Hi I have one in the broadband port and another in the wan port I have a cable running upstairs it has been set up like that for years however when I take the cable out the wan port the phone line comes on but no Internet? I have full fibre yes.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

if you have full fibre then you must have a socket like this upstairs hence why ethernet is connected to WAN socket

ont-pon.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 26

OK, so I’m confused now.  So, if I understand correctly, your broadband is a full fibre system, that is, connected to an ONT, (as pictured by imjolly -thanks for that), via the WAN port.  Your phone still connects to the master socket.  That is, you are still on the old PSTN phone system.  The two are separate systems.  Unplugging one should have no effect on the other.

Unless you are on digital voice.  In which case the phone does not plug into the master socket but instead uses the green phone socket on the back of the Smart hub.

0 Ratings