cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Connecting a bt home hub and wifi discs to a new isp router

Changing from BT to a new isp as I was on a open reach employment package and I have lost access to it (gifted from a familly member) 

I allready have a black disc home hug setup with WiFi mesh setup at home and currently still connected to bt for another month. 

But my new router from the new isp is here and I would like to use ethernet to connect to the Internetless home hub to be able to keep the same WiFi network and extenders. 

How can I do this. 

I've allready turned off the WiFi on the new isp router. 

I have allready pulled out the Internet access on the BT Home Hub 2.

I connected them via ethernet but no joy. 

I know I'm missing something but I'm totally fibro brain fogged and can't get my head into gear. 

Can anyone help? 

To cut it short. I would like to use the bt home hub2 and connected WiFi discs as my WiFi access point but using another isps router and net speeds  connected via ethernet.

Ty for help. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting a bt home hub and wifi discs to a new isp router

What you've done will work for WholeHome discs - sorry I know that's of no help to you! I think the difference with the black discs is the Home Hub 2 acts as the 'main' disc and so the discs expect to connect over wifi. I don't know if what you are trying is possible. As there is an ethernet connection I would guess there should be a way to tell an individual disc to connect this way, so check if there are any settings for an individual disc. Whether or not your subsequent disc(s) can connect over wifi .....
Could you disable internet access on your home hub 2 then connect it to your new router via ethernet?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

There are 2 ways to do this. Either run 2 sub nets with the SH2 in a different subnet to the new router or basically use the SH2 as a wireless access point.

The latter is the simplest.

Just give the SH2 an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the new router, turn off its DHCP and connect the 2 routers together LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Turn off the dhcp on the home hub? And then connect to new router via ethernet? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Yes, you will then have one network.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thx will give it a try. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi, did this work?