cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Connecting for gaming help

So my connection is bipolar as hell had so many engineers out . 

Just wondering why some days my connection is tolerable , other days is perfect and then some days absolute garbage ?

the engineers told me today thats a isp  problem  . If thats the case when i talk the the BT people on the phone its like speaking to a brick wall they dont know nothing other than “ are you wired “ “ lets restart your router and see if that helps “ . Surley theres some tweaking they can do on there end because how is my connection nice and smooth 1 day and then the next horrific ? 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Connecting for gaming help

Think of your connection to the gaming server as being composed of three parts: from your PC/console to the BT Hub; from the BT Hub to the "internet"; and across the internet to the game server.

The first part is entirely under your control.  The best you can do is connect your PC/Console to the Hub directly with an Ethernet cable.  If you are using WiFi then that first part of your connection could be subject to all sorts of interference - this is why the BT support staff ask "are you wired", it rules out potential issues in this part.

The second part is the one that is (somewhat) under BT's control.  It is shared with other users and (if you're on a copper or part-copper) service subject to various technical limitations on achievable speed.  This is the bit that's covered by BT's speed guarantee, and it's what their speed test will measure.

The third part is not "controlled" by anyone - it's a mish-mash of network links and routing tables governed partly by technology and partly by commercial agreements.  There's nothin you can do about this part, and very little BT can do about it (at least on an individual basis).

So, literally the only thing you can do is ensure you have the best possible connection to your Hub, and ensure that BT is meeting their minimum speed guarantee.

0 Ratings