cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Control access to wired connections from BT Router

Go to solution

I want to control access to a wired ethernet connection to our BT Hub/router. But there is only access control for the wireless access?  Is there a way to control the wired connections? So for example I only want the wired connections, or in fact any internet access, to be blocked from 1am to 7am every night. Its a parental control issue.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Control access to wired connections from BT Router

Go to solution

Yes, simply unplug the cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks but the whole point is to not have to get up at 1am every night to do that. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Buy a timer and plug your BT Hub into that so that it turns off when you want it to.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply. The timer plug  was plan B. Guess it will become plan A. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You could add an Ethernet switch between the home hub and the wired device. Then use a timer to connect Ethernet switch to the power and you can then set the timer to turn the Ethernet switch off and on when you want.

This would allow the wireless connection and any other Ethernet connection to still work.

This could of course be circumvented by simply connecting the Ethernet cable from the device back into the hub rather than going through the Switch and of course your child could always buy a cheap wireless dongle and give the computer a wireless connection.

Any tech solution can always be over come by a tech savy child. The best way is to remove the device from the child until such times as he/she learns the house rules.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks. Given me an idea. I have an older router i can use inbetween.

0 Ratings