cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Create a mapping and return System Error 53

Go to solution

Hi,

I have a Win7 and Win10 laptops on my home network, with both having access to the internet and network printer.
I can ping each one from the other and nslookup returns correct info and my arp tables are good as well. I have installed Norton on Win 10, and also Nmap on each. I have temporally disconnected the VPN for testing. My problem has occurred since installing Norton on Win10 and understandably will not install it on Win7 until problem fixed. I cannot create a mapping between each laptop as I get system error 53. I would like to switch off Norton to run tests. Nmap says all my ports have status filtered on both Win7 and Win10. Can someone let me into a secret and tell me how to switch on and off Norton so I can move forward.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Create a mapping and return System Error 53

Go to solution

I don't have Norton installed but if you go to the hidden icons, bottom right of your windows screen, right click on the Norton icon and select disable!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Carlusha,

I just did not see this. Anyway I am still having the same error and I would like peace of mind that these menu options actually do something. Is there a way of seeing what they do, besides the Norton warnings and red crosses. By the way the C drive on Win7 is shared.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Carlusha,

Resolved. User Problem !!!

Amongst a number of ports I had blocked off using an inbound rule I had blocked port 445 on the Win7 system. Needless to say I have a new rule for ports 139 and 445 to remain open, and I may revise this to just 445 only at a later date. Created mapping from Win10 -> Win7 and tested ok.

I would like to now create a mapping from Win7 -> Win10 and this would mean I would create an inbound rule on Win10, however as I have Norton installed I cannot access Windows Defender to create the rule. Is there a way to create these types of rules in Norton ? How would I do this ?

Thanks for your valuable time.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Carlusha,

After some further investigation I have managed to resolve my issues.

Thanks

0 Ratings