cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Delayed gameplay

For years I've had delayed gameplay during fifa, recently got the Full Fibre 900mb connection thinking everything would be fixed and for about a week I thought it was. But it's back again.

Anyway because I've always believed it was a routing problem tonight I set up a vpn wireless laptop to Xbox series X connected by ethernet " Google and YouTube didn't really know what I was doing"  Somehow I got a connection and could tell the minute Fifa loaded up it was a different game far faster, felt I had control of the players. 

So I done these tests on the laptop if someone wants to take a look. Unknown hosts is without the vpn.

Can't post the pictures due to exceeding maximum size.

There's 13 hops in the trace test and only the last 3 have the same ip's

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Delayed gameplay

Use THIS free jpg optimiser to resize you images.

Message 3 of 11

With Vpnjpeg-optimizer-20221010_220335.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

jpeg-optimizer-20221010_220641.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Using a VPN will cause your packets to take a different route to the destination, as you're clearly seeing.  Whether that different route has lower latency will depend on a number of factors - where you're physically located, which service provider you're connected to, where the VPN server is located, which service provider the VPN operator is connected to, and a whole host of other variables.

It looks like in this case the VPN provider location is marginally closer in a network sense to the final destination, and so you get a lower latency.

There isn't a "routing problem" in either situation - just different routes being chosen in each case.

The "Unknown Host" label doesn't indicate a problem - simply that the router in question doesn't have a reverse DNS entry (no way for the trace utility to convert its IP address into a host name) which is not uncommon for routing nodes in private networks.

Message 6 of 11

With EA "Fifa" its always connecting to a dedicated server, so even on offline modes it is still connecting to this server the minute it I connected to it through a vpn I knew it was different, menus/ Loading was far faster.
I've always felt like controller delay so when playing a football game its nearly impossible.
I've had this delay for years now , have Had BT standard broadband , BT fibre , Plusnet fibre, sky fibre and Now BT full fibre 900mb.
One think I've noticed is the connection to gaming like fifa where any sort of delay matters is best during the first week of installation. This is every time without fail.
My connection during tests is brilliant, better than it should even be. I get about 980mb/ 98mb and around 20 latency.

The thing is fifa has a latency option that i can turn during a match but its never high between 16ms and 26ms. There's 0 Packet loss and Jitter.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Hi abit of an update I bought an network adapter and can run a vpn " Nordvpn" from the laptop to xbox but it keeps disconnecting halfway through matches,  I've played a few matches and got around 42ms ping, But that is the only way I can play fifa without having one sided delayed gameplay.  I can't use a vpn router because I'm with bt full fibre 900 and the BT phone.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi I got a message yesterday saying we have completed some extra checks on your broadband and can confirm you are receiving the minimum guaranteed speed " Surprisingly I've just had my best gameplay of the year yesterday " I know it's nothing to do with Speed I get even more than I should " Over 900mb and ping is always good".

But today the gameplay is terrible again same speed and ping as yesterday. 

So did BT do something yesterday that made my gameplay good for most of the day.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hi another thing I noticed is Fifa has a video on their main menu for the world cup only lasts about 30 secs but the Resolution never sorts its self out. Some of the writing is just barely readable. 

Have also noticed this when watching YouTube etc takes about 20 secs to sort out.

Is that what Broadband is supposed to do. Xbox is wired and actually getting nearly 980mb I'm on the 900mb package. Ping is around 17ms.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

This week has been the worst ever, is it line congestion , its just I've noticed a couple of new hubs on my connection list " Neighbours ".

I'm trying to play games on my Xbox speed 980mb and latency around 20ms is brilliant. 

But my connection was alot better about 15 years ago on a couple of mb.

My brother lives a few doors down the Rd from me only has 80/20mb but has zero problems gaming. He is slightly closer to the Cabinet. But I had problems on 80/20mb that's why I upgraded now it's the same or worst.

0 Ratings