cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: Detailed instructions setting up Asus RT-AX59U with BT Fibre Broadband (VDSL)?

While I don’t use quite the same IP range, I can confirm that what Liquorice has said should work.  I run an SH2 connected to a Draytek in the same way, for DV and my own LAN management.  I would also concur with his comments about the security.  I would emphasize turning off the wi-fi on the SH2.

Edit: ...and as far as them making it up is concerned, its called marketing.  They can say anything they like so long as they can make the technical aspects opaque enough.

Message 12 of 13

Re: Detailed instructions setting up Asus RT-AX59U with BT Fibre Broadband (VDSL)?

@nplusone 

Don't fall for all the hype about VPNs that the manufacturers selling/using them tell you. They can offer some additional security in certain circumstances but they are not necessarily something that everybody needs.

Do an Internet search for " Reasons not to use VPN" and then decide if it is something that you need.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 13

As standard a router firewall, doesn't allow in any connections that haven't been initiated by a device on your LAN.  AiProtection submits your connections to Trend Micro's servers and will additionally block all access (in and out) to sites that could be problematic, even if the connection was initiated by a device on your network.  So, it's not doing much more than Web-Protect and additional Web filtering - but in the process, it is sending out data on your connections to a third party.  OH, and AiProtect hasn't been properly maintained and tends to throw errors into the router logs, and occasionally cause the router to reboot.
*It's on my Asus GT-AX6000 router, and it is IMHO more problematic than it's worth.  Running the Merlin firmware on some Asus routers does give access to the "Skynet" firewall which instead uses local lists of problem sites, but still allows for the submission of reports to a third-party site where reports are collated.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!