cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Eagle NVR cannot connect to SMART Hub2

My electrician has fitted security cameras onto the farm buildings and inside a shed and they are connected to an Eagle NVR. That unit is cabled through to the house, a distance of 80.3 metres. They cannot get the NVR to connect to the router and are telling me that the router is not beefy enough. I struggle to believe that, but not sure where to go from here. Any help, ideas would be appreciated. Thanks 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Eagle NVR cannot connect to SMART Hub2

@FarmGirl 

Are you a BT business user?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi Keith,

No, just standard personal customer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Usually farms are classified as a business by BT.

I assume you have BT Broadband? Which BT Home Hub are you using?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Have you tried turning off the 5Ghz frequency in the Smart Hub 2 manager settings and then see whether it will connect? If so then if it it successful you can turn that back on again.

I'm only a novice here so I may be totally wrong, of course.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@FarmGirl Ethernet is good for 100m assuming good quality Cat5e or higher cable. I assume you aren't trying to power the NVR via POE as the BT hub doesn't support POE. I would suspect the quality of the cable and/or it's terminations.

@HHGTTG the op isn't connecting via WiFi.

Message 7 of 12

Smart Hub 2

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Its possible that the Ethernet port on the Smart Hub 2 is having difficulty negotiating the correct speed.

Try adding an Ethernet switch between the home hub Ethernet port, and the end of the cable.

https://www.netgear.com/uk/business/wired/switches/5-port-switch/

A Netgear GS105 would be a good choice.

You only need to use two of the ports, one to connect to the home hub, and one to the end of the cable.

Message 9 of 12

Has anyone actually tested the ethernet link end to end or is it just a case of the NVR is not working - it must be the router situation. You can buy a simple ethernet tester from the big river  or the well known auction site for under £10. They will normally highlight common problems with the wiring such as a wire not inserted fully in the IDC connector, wires in the wrong order, broken wires in the cable  sometimes caused by rough handling during installation etc.

Which port on the SH2 are you using, if port 4 make sure it is not setup for FTTP. 

Message 10 of 12

If you do try an Ethernet Switch, it will have indicator LEDs to indicate activity, and will also deal with any cable crossover between transmit and receive pairs.

0 Ratings