cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT router keeps dropping wifi

Devices keep dropping from wi fi. Can't enter PW says can't connect. If text help then refresh devices tge connect Back in anything from 15 mins to the next day. If I reboot router makes no difference.  Devices are new lapto, old tablet, new tablet 2 old mobiles,  2 new mobiles,  Nintendo switch not used much. Only 3 devices actually used at any one time. The PS5 is fine as networked via cable. 

This has been going on for 2 years and wi fi drops about 40 times a year. Had new telephone sockets and about 4 replacement routers, and 8 engineer visits. 

I can allways context to EE wi fi, the public wi fi but that drops after 15 mins. 

Changing channel make no difference as if router re boots it's self I wouldn't know how to change channel back and never had this problem with old router only since the new one.

Also the digital handset is useless as again if router re boots while out or not looking at router you need to re pair it up.

Are the BT routers inheritantly faulty? That being there is manufacturing fault where it's not allocating an IP before you even get the pw prompt. Sometimes the bot says fault on line or caller says fault on line. But problem keeps returning. 

Anyone else have thus problem? Not looking for a fix as there isn't one.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT router keeps dropping wifi

Hello! @MannyEX76 

For Wi-Fi issues with your BT router:

• Update Firmware: Check for the latest router firmware.
  • Reduce Interference: Move the router away from other electronics and use Wi-Fi analyzer apps to find a clear channel.
  • Reset Router: Try resetting to factory settings to fix IP allocation issues.
  • Contact ISP: Keep reporting to your ISP for a potential router replacement or alternative solutions.

If problems persist, consider a different router brand for better stability.

I trust this will be beneficial.

TheDisneyHub

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

If the PS5 is fine all the time then its not a line fault, sounds like it is just WIFI, after having 4 replacement routers its hard to believe that all 4 would be faulty, in fact I dont believe it, but to me that has ruled out the router being a problem.

Potentially it could be some crazy interference or a power issue, is the router exposed to anything nearby, maybe plug it in somewhere else all together if you can extend the internet line part. Changing the channel isnt a huge deal, your devices will still connect, changing the channel could help.

Is the WIFI dropping because the router is rebooting or is it just rebooting randomly also?

If I were you after all the hassle i'd have just got my self some other WIFI solution, 2 years on still the same issue, yes sure the ISP's stuff should work but looks like 4 routers and 8 engineer visits...theyve tried!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@MannyEX76 

have you tried using a wifi analyser on your phone to see the wifi networks near you and the channels in use then selecting a free or less congested channel for your wifi settings

Have you tried changing the wifi mode from 1 or either 2 or 3 and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@MannyEX76 

Do any of your devices have "Private Addressing" set to ON as this can cause similar issues with to yours as this setting means that every time such a device connects to the SmartHub a new entry is created in the hub's IP address table which eventually fills up and will allow no further connections. Only a proper reboot - not just a power off - will reolve but then your DV settings get lost.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

A full factory reset is the only thing that clears the DHCP table.

0 Ratings