cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Ethernet with FTTP

Evening, 

I have received my home hub, and everything has been turned on today and working a treat. I have my fibre coming in under the stairs on a new build property. I have a telephone socket next to my ONT, but my question is why is it a telephone socket if its a new build with fibre only?

I've had a look behind the socket and can't work out if it's got the wrong faceplate on or not as it has all the colours that would indicate internal ethernet cabling? 

Could someone clarify what this cabling may be for behind the faceplate?;

IMG-20220901-WA0018.jpg

 I have 4 of these faceplates in my house, one next to my ONT under the stairs, one in the front room then one in two bedrooms upstairs and im at a loss as to what they are for? Why is there two cables twisted and pushed into the top? 

If anyone could shed any light that would be great as I was under the impression I shouldn't have incoming telephone cables due to it being FTTP.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ethernet with FTTP

Possibly to connect to the Hub's analogue port to provide wired extensions. Probably best to ask the developer.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

As already stated it’s really a question for the developer, many only provide Ethernet distribution ,if it’s paid for as an ‘extra’ , unless specified as a standard feature , obviously enabling the router to be sited away from where the ONT is located ( ONT plugs into one Ethernet socket co-located with the ONT , the router plugs into the another Ethernet socket somewhere else )

If the developer has supplied  extension phone sockets they  will be of no use for Ethernet distribution, but as stated could be used to connect to the router phone port ( if DV telephony is taken as part of the FTTP service) , obviously you could try plugging the ONT into one socket and your router into the other socket, unfortunately I suspect it won’t work for Ethernet.

Its the developer choice to provide ‘conventional’ extension phone  sockets when FTTP is provided but isn’t as silly as it may appear, although the router is a DECT base station, if a conventional corded  phone was plugged into the router and the router is located in a cupboard under the stairs , answering the phone becomes a chore , at least the phone can be located in a more convenient place if the appropriate interconnection cables are used, and a corded phone could be plugged into each socket , if it were Ethernet only one extension socket could be used at a time .

As far as the existing sockets ( RJ11 or RJ45 ) generally it’s the ‘sparky’ that does the power sockets that provides these ‘Telecom’ sockets , so they tend to connect all terminals, even though only terminals 2 and 5 are necessary for telephony, and this would actually diminish performance  if it were ADSL/VDSL being provided over a copper pair .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

It's not Ethernet cabling, it is just phone wiring which you may or may not want.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the replies everyone, I wasn't looking to start fiddling was just curious what the cables were and with the brown and brown and white cables pushed and unused in the top I'd just assumed it was cables for ethernet connections!

So moving forward, without a phone or the need for one are these ports through the house actually any use? My lads xboxs are upstairs and we're hard wired in on the previous, I'd assume if I got someone in I may be able to get them to remove this telephone cabling and replace with ethernet?

Thanks all, been a great help in a short period.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

For a short distance, the existing wiring might suffice for Ethernet although it is not up to Cat5e standard. You could terminate an RJ45 socket to try it. The only problem might be how the cables are run, they are probably daisy chained between the extension sockets which won't work for Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Can that faceplate that's currently attached then be changed to an ethernet faceplate, using the existing cabling?

Like I said i know nothing about telephony and cabling so I wouldn't do it myself unless it's something I should be able to do myself and see if it may work? 

If not I'll just get someone in the run ethernets through the voids for the points in the rooms.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Yes, simply try it.

You will need to discover if the other end of the cable is where you want it though rather than it going to a different room and daisy chained to the right room.

The difference between the CW1308 cable used for phones and CAT5e, is the number of twists per metre and screening to reduce interference.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Something I could give a go myself then? I'm a gas engineer so should be fine, as its FTTP there wont be any current running through those cables so if I just change the faceplates I may be in luck?

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Yeah, give it a try. There are plenty of guides if you Google how to wire Ethernet sockets.

0 Ratings