cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Expecting Smart Hub 2 Problems

I've had a HH5 forever, but I've had problems infrequently, but enough to be annoying, where the 5Ghz band seems to drop out completely.  Couple that with the annoying fortnightly reboot and I thought it would be worth asking for a newer hub.  So there's a SH2 on its way to me.

Now, I already knew that it doesn't allow separate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands - which I'm not thrilled about - but on top of that I've just read the thread describing wifi dropouts, for which the only solution proposed is to separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, which isn't possible.

So, expecting the worst, what are the options?

A third party modem/router is one option, but then I have a redundant SH2.

A second option, I think, is to turn wifi off on the SH2 and use a separate wifi access point.  I see someone recommended a TP Link at around £35.  Is that a daft idea and would I be better off with option 1?  I assume with a separate access point I would leave my wired devices connected to the SH2 and get the access point to provide separate SSIDs for the 2 bands.  Without getting into the weeds yet, there's probably settings I'd need to know, like ensuring only the SH2 supplies DHCP, etc.

What would you do?

On the other hand, I may not see any issues with the new SH2.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Expecting Smart Hub 2 Problems

I will be very surprised if you see any issues.

Just run with the SH2 before jumping to any other options.

Message 3 of 15

Hope so - admiring the optimism!

Indeed, I'll give the SH2 a good try.  Curious why some are experiencing problems though - and it's an ongoing thread so their problems haven't gone away.  Maybe there's something significant about their setups.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

I believe the wireless reliability issue in the SH2 that many (including myself) are having is down to a firmware issue that hopefully will (eventually) be resolved with an upgrade. That said, I agree that seeing how you get on first makes sense. If you DO find you have connection issues, I would opt for your option two possibly by using a repurposed router. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Regarding my second option, I'd end up buying a WAP I think, because my only other option is to re-use the HH5.  However BT, apparently, want me to return the HH5 - which is just as well seeing as I'd still have the failing 5GHz band and the fortnightly reboot.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@ploppywrote:

Regarding my second option, I'd end up buying a WAP I think, because my only other option is to re-use the HH5.  However BT, apparently, want me to return the HH5 - which is just as well seeing as I'd still have the failing 5GHz band and the fortnightly reboot.

@ploppy  How long have you had the HH5? If you had it before 13 December 2019, then it is YOURS to keep! BT may simply be offering to dispose of the HH5 for you - the green option.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

I've had the HH5 a long time - long before Dec 2019.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

I would say that you have perceived a problem that is not a problem for the vast majority of users, which in my opinion would point to there being no inherent problem with the Smarthub 2.

I have been using the Smarthub 2 without any issues at all. I changed the SSid and password to that of my old hub and all my wireless devices connected as expected and there have been no wireless drop outs on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. 

I have been moved onto Digital Voice and that went without any issues and works as expected using a combination of my "old" phones and with the "new" digital phone supplied free of charge from BT.

Unless you have a desperate need to split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz I would say you should get the Smarthub 2 and at least try it to see how you get on.

Message 9 of 15

@ploppywrote:

I've had the HH5 a long time - long before Dec 2019.

Hi @ploppy   In which case you shouldn’t have any problems with the SH2. Most problems (apart from the odd faulty SH2, as with all electrical goods) is environment and interference. It sounds like yours are both stable and WiFi friendly.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

SH2 is due to arrive tomorrow so I'll have a fun weekend checking everything out.  FYI, we have 2 MacBook Pros, 2 iPhones, iPad 2nd gen, Sonos, Humax Freesat, Chromecast, BT TV, Now TV, most of which use wifi but some are hardwired.  Any known issues with any of these?

0 Ratings