cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Extending range of wifi using BT discs

I have a BT SH2 with a single BT mesh disc. However, my garden office still gets a very weak wifi signal. The configuration is this:

Router > Mesh disc (signal OK) > garden office (signal very poor).

If I used a second disc to give the following configuration, would that give me a better wifi signal in the garden office:

Router > Mesh disc (signal OK) > Mesh disc > garden office. The router and mesh discs would be more or less in a line.

I need a good signal in the office because Apple, in their infinite wisdom, have discontinued having an ethernet port on new iMacs, so I cant use powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Extending range of wifi using BT discs

Of course you can use powerline adapters. Just use ones with WiFi capability. Have a look at the TP link range.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your prompt response, Liquorice, but I don’t think that that will work for me without a large expense. I already have a network of BT powerline adapters for a couple of TV’s and a recorder without Wifi - they work well and it would be costly to replace them with the ones you linked to. My garden office has one of the BT powerline adapters but I can’t use it as the new iMac doesn’t have an ethernet port. Hence my interest in improving the wifi signal to the garden office. I have BT Fibre Halo 3 with Complete wifi so I believe that I can request another disc at no additional cost but I don’t want to do this if it won’t help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yes another of the black discs should work fine. I have one disc upstairs in the house and the other disc in the Summerhouse at the bottom of the garden and it works well. You can request up to 3 Discs .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@bratman91 If you have a powerline adapter in the garden office with an Ethernet port, you can connect the disc to that if it struggles to get WiFi connectivity to the other disc.

Message 6 of 8

@licquorice 

I have just tried that. There’s a blue light on the disc and the wifi signal strength on the computer has 4 bars but the computer can’t get any internet. I’ve tried this in a different location and the same thing happens using an iPhone and iPad ie. a strong signal but no internet.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hmm, I've just tried it and it works ok for me. However, to be fair I can't site my disc anywhere that doesn't connect to the hub by wifi but when moving it to a location that only gives an orange light, connecting via Ethernet powerline turns it to blue.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@licquorice  thanks for that advice. I’ll give it another go and see what the result is. 

0 Ratings