cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

FFTP - can we ditch old phone socket?

Go to solution

Hello.

We're thinking of upgrading to the FFTP service. Our current phone line drops off the telegraph pole and comes in through the front wall of the bay window. I can see a small, old-looking thin white wire which then disappears under a carpet and mysteriously reappears 5m away (I assume) where the main phone socket is located on an internal wall in the dining room. The smart hub sits nearby and everything is hunky dory.

So - if we go FTTP - the question is: can we have the new modem put wherever we want? I gather the old phone socket becomes defunct? 

It would be far easier if the line comes in as it does now, but all the shenanigans (modem, router etc) are moved to the front room.  Is this possible? Really can't face ripping up carpets, skirting boards etc for the sake of an extra 50Mb download speed...

Thanks all!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: FFTP - can we ditch old phone socket?

Go to solution

Your FTTP  will need an openreach ONT this will be fitted where you ask the eng to place it if you keep your ptsn phone (not likely) you will need it.

If not you can kiss your master socket goodbye

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Don't forget you will need a power socket. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for that. Logically, that's what I assumed (because it's a new line coming in and doesn't need any of the old infrastructure in the house) but there's one of the BT guides online which is a smidgen ambiguous - does say 'locate your existing master socket' as though it will be required in some way 🤔

(and yes - power socket ready and waiting in situ!)

Thanks again.

0 Ratings