cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

FTTC (broadband only, without phone service)

We are moving to a bungalow that is being refurbished, it only has FTTC and the original master socket is lost. It was on a bedroom wall, which following building work is now replastered. The copper wire has been located outside, so we know where it is. We only want broadband, and we are moving from an FTTP house. My questions are:

I can see online that for FTTP an external junction box is connected to an internal ONT, then to a router. But I can't see anything online that explains the equivalent installation for an FTTC connection, and what devices are installed. Is it a conventional BT socket with filters like we had 20 years ago?

Assuming there is a FTTC box equivalent to the internal digital ONT, how far can the router be from this internal box/socket. I want the router to be convenient for a good wifi signal, in a different part of the house, without using home plugs. Also I want to connect my EV charger. Will the charger need to connect to the router? The garage is attached to the property, and internal wiring can use the loft space.

Thanks Mike

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: FTTC (broadband only, without phone service)

FTTC from the consumer point of view is the same as ADSL , the conventional NTE master socket is used , or an extension wired from it , if the existing master socket has been removed then obviously without some reinstatement you won’t get service.

How service is reinstated can vary , but likely will involve the external copper cable terminated on a block on the external wall and a new ‘internal’ cable ran to the location of the replacement NTE master socket unless  the original cable to the removed NTE master socket can be located and is capable of being reused.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: FTTC (broadband only, without phone service)

Thanks

0 Ratings