cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP Upgrade causing intermittent wifi

Upgraded from 100mbps to 500mbps last week on FTTP and ever since, our wifi keeps cutting out. Can’t watch anything on smart tv without it cutting out every 5 mins or so (have to reboot tv, come out of the app and then forward to where we were all over again). Outlook on windows PC not working (again have to reboot). Problem on all devices (phones, iPad, tablet, laptop, TV). 
BT say that speed to hub is showing as fine so must be wifi. Have tried new channel. And restarting the hub. Haven’t done factory reset on hub yet, as don’t want to have to reconnect everything unless that’s the only option (and it’ll work!). 
Engineer not coming till next Friday (thanks BT!). And 4G dongles don’t work here. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP Upgrade causing intermittent wifi

I think you need to bite the bullet and do a factory reset. Press recessed button on back and hold until lights flash.  Remember to. Set FTTP to on in hub manager 

If you have not changed the hub SSID and password then your WiFi devices should connect automatically.  If you had changed SSID   Then make sure set the SSID and password back to what it was and devices should connect automatically 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Hi @fkls and welcome to our community.

Sorry you're having problems with the wifi connection. I'd have to agree with @imjolly on this. I'm assuming the engineer is a home visit (Qube) to check the set up etc? If that's the case they'll probably reset the hub anyway so I would go ahead and try it.

Cheers

David

Message 4 of 8

It sounds like a similar issue to one that I've got ongoing - I moved from the Full Fibre 500 to the 900 package.
You might want to read through the thread to see all the things I've tried with help from the community on here. I've found a work around, but it's not ideal.
It does keep us all connected (for the most part!) though which is the main thing I guess?!

Message 5 of 8

Thanks - that’s quite a read and I sincerely hope that I don’t have to share your pain! Have you found a solution to using the disc and disabling the router?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@fklsSo the BT disc, connected via ethernet cable to the disabled Hub provides an amazing speed and reach to the rest of the house.
However, I've not found a work around to the whole set up disconnecting when the Smart Hub does its update thing every few weeks. Once the Hub restarts, the disc that I have connected to the disabled Hub doesn't then automatically start transmitting the wifi signal again. It's a case of going into the Hub Manager, enabling wireless to the Hub, then disabling it again (switching it on/off basically). The disc then comes back online and we can all connect to it (or the other two discs around the house) again.
That's the only way to do it. Rebooting the Hub and/or disc using their power buttons just doesn't work. 
It's a faff, for sure. But at least up until the next Hub update the wifi signal is strong and stable, and the connection speeds via wifi great!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

So the Cube engineer came out and removed our TP Link system and reset the ONS. He said the TP Link was limiting out speeds to 80mbps. He then suggested that because of our thick walls, we hard wire the wifi discs together (using the Ethernet cables I had installed to connect the TP Links). I’ve had nothing but problems ever since, with previous 80mbps now replaced with all the discs going off and online every few mins. I’ve wasted the whole day trying to fix and have only now tried disconnecting the Ethernets between discs. This seems to be the problem. I don’t think you can connect them disc to disc. V annoying if that is the case and the Cube engineer doesn’t know this. 
so, I think I need a new mesh system that will handle 500mbps …

Message 8 of 8

Had similar problems, but not such high speed but replaced with higher speed Powerline units which fixed our problems to dropouts to TV due to distance. Rgds.

0 Ratings